Global Moment In Time

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to participate in this project. I also have an idea, which I think might be to far beyond the scope, but here it is FWIF... I don't have one, but I know there are programs that can take a lot of pics and put them together into a mosaic that forms some image, like a face, a place, the globe perhaps (?). I'm not sure, but I think it might be possible, if someone knows the kind of program I'm thinking of, to take all the pics PN members take at the specified time and weave them into a mosaic (or is it a collage?) of, say, the earth... or whatever everyone might like better. Each individual pic would still stand for itself and be viewable alone, but the whole could be a really neat expression of the PN collaboration Pete's suggested.

Please feel free to tell me this is totally hair-brained and ridiculous. It's just what came to mind as I read this discussion. Does anyone know of a program that does what I'm describing? Just seems like it might be a cool way of putting all the shots from that moment into a whole of some sort.

I'd also thought about the globe idea - this should be quite possible if each person can specify their co-ordinates. I've got some software I use for amateur radio that is basically a map of the earth and when I enter the locator coordinates of the person I was in contact with it puts a "pin" on the map. When I roll over that pin it gives all the info of the contact. Would be great to be able to do something like that - have a pin on the map, roll over it to see the picture that person had uploaded. Heaven's knows how to go about it though!

Tim Z....I don't think we need a particular subject. It would be nice to leave that to the person taking the photograph. It could be a self-portrait taken at the location they're at. It could be of the people they are with. Or the view out of their window. Anything I guess that gives some idea of what is happening where they are at that moment. Definitely photographer's choice though - I think this will make the material a bit more diverse.

I know I have come in late on this one again, but the time difference is what it is. I was thinking of the same thing a few weeks ago and think it is a great idea.

Personally the suggestion of a set date in advance would be best for me being in the southern hemisphere, just keep in mind that I will be sending in a shot the day before you guys start shooting which is niether here nor there but it should fall on a weekend so non of us are at work, except for Josh of course!

I'm in. It sounds like fun. I only shoot film though so I'll need an extra day to process. Tim, I got the reference to Jonestown. My brother went there during the "clean up". Electric kool-aid also came to mind.

-Lionel

Right....plan so far....

1. photographs to be taken at the same time in UTC

2. we'll do it on a weekend

3. photograph to be of whatever the photographer wants - it might be the people you're with, it might be the street outside, it might be your workplace - anything really that puts you somewhere.

4. photographs need a simple title/file name consisting of date, time, location (maybe coordinates if possible) and photog name.

I wondering about the time to use. I'm tempted to suggest 00:00 UTC - the reason for this sort of selfish, but maybe worthy, as I live 5 minutes from the 0 degree Meridian Line where it leave the south coast of England at a place called Peacehaven. I'd like my photograph to be of the monument that marks this line at the cliff top. The US will still be in daylight, Australia will be in daylight, but I suppose it means that it will be night shots for a lot of us. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Now I feel terrible, the Kool-aid reference was in poor taste, especially Lionel, you had a member of your family witness the aftermath? Must have been horrible........no more kool-aide references....

Back on course.......lets take some pictures.

made me wonder about the picture at the same time thing, How many people would it take standing side by side, cameras pointed to the sky, firing their flashes into space......how many to be able to be seen from space? maybe our next project........OK, I'll shut up now.

Ok UTC time sounds good, but what is that?

I'm ok whatever it is as it sounds like the light will be in most plces, don't know how to work it out so some help will be needed. Hope I'm not the only dope that doesn't know, at least I admitt it, ha ha.

The Date, well how about April so Easter is well out of the way and my most frantic time of year.

Why not choose between April,5th, 12th,19,26th, that way your Saturday is my sunday and we should all be reasonably free?

Josh why don't you pick because your site will be overloaded and may need some assistance!