D300 @ ISO3200

cmulcahy

I've heard mixed things on the D300's ability to shoot at ISO3200.

I thought I'd give it a try at the Chieftains concert last weekend. I'm pretty

happy w/ my results. Using a 28mm 2.8D hand held from the upper decks of the

theater.

http://www.photo.net/photo/7026283

I had trouble w/ the metering I think, and I didn't have the proper lens for

this kind of shooting bu the results were pretty decent in my book. I kick my

self for not bring my 50mm 1.4. I wasn't planning on shooting in the show

though.

The D300 at ISO 3200 is better than the D2X at 3200. I hope you shot NEFS and not JPEGS.

Many years ago, early 1990s, I spent a lovely evening listening to The Chieftans in concert and then taking some of them out to a bar in Houston and watching them chat up various females of a friend's acquaintance who had no idea of who they were besides their being Irish and expansive. I'm not sure how or when we got them back to their hotel in one piece. I do remember waking up on my friend's couch about noon the next day. It was a great evening that I had forgotten about until I stumbled into this thread

The lighting they were using actually was red. Depending on the song they were playing it would switch from red, white, or blue lighting (to set the mood I guess.)

And yea the Chieftains are the greatest. I wish they'd play live more often.

Ellis, Cool story. Their personalities are great. I got pissed in Matt Malloy's pub in Westport, Ireland a few years ago - hoping I'd get a chance to meet him or some of his boys but no such luck. How cool would that be to party w/ the Chieftains!

Back to the D300... I think I could have got 10X better pictures if I just had my 50mm 1.4 or even my 35-70mm 2.8. My plan was to get some cool pictures around downtown Chicago before the show. I didn't want to bring a large lens figuring I would have to sneak my camera in the concert. So I only had my 28mm for street shots. Next time I'll come better prepared.

If anyone wants to check out a few of my Chicago pictures from that day I've got them posted in my portfolio. It was the first warm day in about 5 months for me...it almost hit 60F. Of course it's back down to 6F now :(