today. I just won the 70-200mm AF-S VR lens on ebay and it's very heavy. I

normally leave my 18-200mm lightweight lens on the body and put it away

together in a camera bag. I'm concerned by the weight of my new lens and how

well the mount will handle the added stress. Also, I've never had the need for

a monopod while shooting sports, but again, I'm concerned with the weight of

this lens. Should I start using one?

thank you,

Joey

I have both the D80 and the 70-200mkm f2.8 VR. I have zero qualms about using them together--the D80 is pretty solid. The lens might be too heavy, depending on what you are looking for. I mostly only use mine for low light or night photography. It's not a lens I would take on a family outing. Also, I generally shoot it from a tripod and bought the RRS Arca/Swiss foot for it. Carefully think through what you want this lens to do that your current lens isn't giving you.

Kent in SD

Joey....A monopod is a great support when shooting sports or anything that requires mobility. Money well spent in my opinion. But if you have a tripod with a good ballhead, you can also use that by holding the lens/camera and keeping the ball loose enough for fluid motion. As Robert and LG said: support the camera/lens package by the LENS, whether handholding or using a monopod or tripod. The lens holds the camera, not camera-holds-lens as with the 18-200mm.

thanks for the feedback. I have two daughters playing high school Lacrosse and Field Hockey in San Diego. Their games are about an hour or two before sundown, so I have minimal light and often have hard shadows to overcome. Using Dave Blacks advice (daveblackphotography.com), I've successfully used Auto ISO in Manual mode with my shutter speed set to 500 and aperture all the way open. Until now I used the 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, almost always extended to 200mm. This meant that my Auto ISO would remain at 1600 most of the time due to the small aperture setting of f/5.6. I noticed that on the rare occasion when the action was close enough to open the lens to f/3.5, my ISO would drop. So, my logical conclusion is that the f/2.8 will give me a lower ISO and therefore less noise, not to mention the sharper images and faster focusing.

Other than the sports, I'll continue using my 18-200mm VR because it has served me well for just about all occasions.

thanks again....Joey

There is no way I could have shot softball games last fall without my monopod. At 200mm, the more you shake the more it is magnified.

Whenever I carry the lens/camera, I never hold the rig by the camera body. I always grab the barrel of the lens. The last thing you want to do is put unneeded stress on the mount. It's a strong mount but still don't take any chances.

Indeed, Joey - you'll gain some speed (or lower your noise) with the extra couple of stops you now have at 200mm. Even in very good, bright light, though, your new lens will focus much more quickly, and render a much sharper image at 200mm (and more pleasing bokeh). You're going to love it. But do get yourself a monopod, and use the mounting foot <i>on the lens</i> to support things. Works great. Oh, and DO leave the VR turned on when using the monopod. On balance, it will help matters in a sports-shooting situation where you're not fixed, stationary on a tripod. When handholding, just make sure that you're cupping the lens in your left hand - it's natural, and much easier than trying to manage that with your right hand on the camera body (all mount-sturdiness-issues aside). Have fun. Fantastic lens.

If is a good work out and will be good for you. Plus you pay for the VR, make it work for you. Don't worry, the mounts are designed for lens much heavier like the 400/2.8. Do use Mono pod on that one.

BTW: One don't win in ebay normally. Ony get to buy at a higher price :-)

Well the mount will not be the problem, its more the shoulder or your arms where you will feel the weight I guess. I use the lens for shooting sailing sports from a boat. You could also use a monopod, but the whole design of this lens asks for handheld shooting i.m.o. . This lens is just fantastic, just use it with VR and handhold and there will be no problem with your D80. At 2.8 this lens delivers wonderful creamy unsharp backgrounds and AFS is very fast and perfect for sports photography. Enjoy :)