heavy, so it stays in my bag a lot. So I am probably selling it, and those

funds may go towards a 85 1.2LII. I already have the 24-70 2.8L, as well as the

50mm 1.4. My question is, is this lens worth it, over the 85 1.8? I use a 1D

mark III, so I've got a top notch camera, and would like a top notch lens to go

with it. Also, is the AF of the older version 85 1.2 really that slow? I

suppose you could get some great deals on the old version used. But if it

really is that slow maybe it's not worth it after all? Looking forwrard to your

insights.

My 2 cents, If you love doing portrait, you owe it to yourself to get one. 85/1.8 is great but its still no 85/1.2. It is that much sharper then the 1.8 version? No. Does it product better portrait, Yes. IMO, the f1.2 is a better packaged together for portrait as a package.

If money is not an issue and you need the extra brightness in the viewfinder and additional

aperture, then definitely yes. But before you buy one, go check one out. It's huge (72mm

filter), especially on the camera (balance). If you don't need it, the f1.8 is a excellent choice

for many uses. I have both. I got and use the f1.8 lens most of the time, eg. street, nature,

landscape, studio photography, after buying a f1.2 lens, which I now use in the winter and

for events where the extra aperture is handy. I agree for portrait work the f1.2 lens would be

worth the money, but first check both out. Good luck.

The lens is fantastic, but...if you just need a 85mm lens, get the 1.8 and shoot it till the

cows come home (or even after that). Use the rest of the money to get your backup (Raid)

and color calibrations going. Still money left, advertise yourself and make money with your

equipment. Like this you have a solid foundation and a great lens. And after you made

your first couple of grand revisit the idea of the 1.2. Did you use the 1.8 as much as

anticipated, do you need the extra weight, does your camera hand hurt after hours of

shooting with a 24-70 ?

(For full disclosure i use the L series 35-50-85 and love it, but it's expensive and when i

need a second set i have a hard time finding them in Rental in NY and LA. Could i do my

job with the regular lenses, of course, did a client ever asked what lens i use, of course

not.) Getting your business o a credible level and then your name out out weights any

"dream lens" drift, it all comes in time (or inherit, make a great deal, play Lotto, you

choose), my very best, Mark

>>If money is not an issue and you need the extra brightness in the viewfinder

Actually you will not see any brightness difference in the viewfinder. I think 2.8 is the maximum brightness in the viewfinder. Anything below that does not increase brightness.

I could not agree more with Michael's advice. The money to rent these lenses is well spent.

Well, I have both and let me say that I have equal amount of good portrait shots with both. It is not the lens that makes good pictures its your sense of composition and lighting. Having an 85 1.2 L in a wedding reception is nice, because it makes you look better carrying the huge glass. The big difference for me is only the "L" which stands for luxury. If you drive a mercedes, maybe you should get it.

>> My question is, is this lens worth it, over the 85 1.8?

Not for me. I had the 85/1.8 and found it to be sharp enough and with shallow enough DoF. I have several lenses (some of them L) and have no wish to own this one.

As you can understand (read Colin's reply), the term "worth it" is very subjective one. For example, is it worth it to buy a BMW 3 instead of the Mazda 3? For some it is, for some it isn't. And what do all these opinions mean to you? Absolutely nothing.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I "believe" in the lens. Shooting the 1.2 and 1.8 at the same aperture of 1.8; the 1.2 produces superior color, "creamier" skintones, smoother bokeh and overall better image quality IMO.

Comparing the 1.8 images side by side (RAW) from each of the two lenses (1Ds3 bodies), it's easy to tell the IQ difference in portraits. For other than portrait shooting, the differences become less pronounced but still evident.

One thing that never seems to be mentioned, yes,It is slower to focus because of the amount

of glass being moved, but it focuses more accurately, and it stays locked on better than any

of my other lenses [35/1.4, 50/1.4, 24/70], and this is in very low light levels. I can feel

guilty for weeks after big spends like this, but after using it for the first time I knew it was

absolutely worth the cost, but I do a lot of work without flash in very low light at 1.2 and 1.4.

As much as I don't like talking about bokeh, it has the most beautiful transition, it goes from

very sharp focus and then just melts away.

Agree with Chris JB and Robert Lawler.

I have both lenses - 85 f/1.8, and f/1.2LII - and I use the slower one when travelling further afield or when risk factors dictate using the cheaper optic. But they are both excellent, the f/1.8 being especially good for close-ups with an EF12ET extension tube for things such as jewellery on a woman's ear, face-painting on a child.(I have not used the ET on the LII because of the way the rear element protrudes, and a fear of scratching it when taking the said ET on and off).

My normal arrangement for the f/1.8 is to keep the 12ET on it, which I generally get better results (of the kind I seek) than with the f/2.8 Macro 100. But that's purely subjective.

There is definitely more 'sparkle' with the LII stopped down, and it gives you the edge when opened up, and it also balances very well indeed ~ it's heavy, but not the giant marble I imagined it would be: not tiring to use for prolonged periods, as it's so stubby compared with using a fast telezoom at a commensurate focal length. AF is a breeze (I never owned the Mk1 version) but slightly less 'snappy' than the f/1.8, but it never seems to 'hunt' the way the slower optic/faster (FTM) USM f/1.8 can do - the LII always seems on the mark.

I would recommend the 85 LII for those using both FF and 1.6X arrays, but as you've already got the top-end EOS 1 in a concert environment it's a non-brainer. It'll balance superbly and won't disappoint.

<p><i>The photographer just has to know how to use it.</i></p><p>I know how to use it. You need to read my post in it's entirety. I prefer my portraits to have the face completely in focus. A depth of field of 0.84 inches makes this prohibitive at f/1.2.</p>