Lens prep/cleaning/maintenance

abe_hollander

OK, so what's everyone's superstitious process for preparing to put on a filter

whose express purpose will be to protect the lens?

I'm awaiting my new Sigma 70-300, and I'll put a filter (also included in the

purchase) on it immediately, and likely never take it off.

After I borrow that bandana from around my dog's neck (always looks cleaner

than my sweatsocks) and wipe off the lens after giving it the open-mouthed, fog-

producing breath, I just put the sucker on, and that's it, right?

Anyone wanna drop the name of their favorite lens cleaning kit, BTW?

My favorite lens cleaning tool is an old linen table napkin. It is kinda gay because it is pink, but it works well and never leaves lint behind. I use what ever lens cleaning solution the local shop has in stock (lately it has been 'Promaster' branded).

Last summer we were cruising a thrift store in a little town in the middle of nowhere, killing time before a late afternoon wedding. Maria picked up a nice piece of linen for her camera bag for a quarter that was 3 times the size of my old napkin. Wouldn't you know, it is pink too...

Remember to blow off any grit that might scratch the glass, then apply the solution to the cloth, not the glass (and don't get the cloth TOO wet). If you apply drops directly to the glass, it can work its way into the lens body, leaving drops on the inside of the glass.

I use the rocket blower (which comes in a manly black and red colour) to get rid of all the dust on the lens and on the filter. Only if I see any smudges on the lens do I use a (grey) cloth (stolen from my wife's glasses case). I then screw the filter on vowing never to take it off again, holding the lens up high with one outstretched arm, while shouting "I have the poweeeeer".

Then 1 week later I find some fluff between the lens and the filter and I have to repeat the process.

Then 1 week later I decide to take photos of the Moon and realise the filter produces a ghost image and I have to repeat the process.

Then 1 week later I decide to take some night photos of city lights and rediscover that the filter produces ghost images and I have to repeat the process.

You get the idea, Abe.

I have the same problem as MM. For some reason the problem is worse with some filters than others. My soft filter on one lens gets fogged almost constantly and same brand filter on another lens sits just fine for weeks. I have no idea what's up with that. Just make sure you have the pink soft cloth handy.

I use a lens cloth that leaves a ton of crappy lint everywhere (it's a Canon lens cloth no less) and then I blow off all the lint with my mouth and hope I don't blow a few spit bubbles on it as well. If I do I start the process over until I manage to get all the yellow hairs off without spitting on the lens, then I slap a CPL or ND or ND Grad on it - Never a filter for protection. Never!

The beauty of filters is you can use steel wool to clean the filter and risk nothing.

Of course I wouldn't recommend that. But while filters have cause some flare in situations I had them on, when I've got the time I simply take them off, and use the bare lens. When I do this my front element is as squeaky clean as it was when I left the house so no dust to cause flare.

I bought some microfiber cleaning cloths that I usually have handy. And a lens blower/brush. The blower is useless, but I simply brush the dirt/dust off first and then wipe the smudges.

Works well enough.

For my actual lens elements I try to avoid wiping, and do more brushing/blowing with both a pocket rocket and a brush.

For what it's worth, I actually picked up a small paint brush to brush my camera off. It's amazing how much dust and grit collect on the outside, and on the lens barrels. A little brushing and my camera looks as good as new.

I really like the LensPen. I use it to clean all of my optics (including multi-coated). It is so convenient, requires no fluid, and easily stores in the pen slots of your bag. It is under $8 and lasts a long time.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/LensPEN-LENLP1-Lens-Cleaning-System/dp/B000KO0GY6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204953410&sr=8-2">LensPen link</a>

Thanks all.

Love my lenspen too, but mostly relegated to my C***n P&S. I did buy a new one for my K10D bag though.

Great to hear about the microfibre cloths too, as I have a few (side benefit of spending a lot on Oakleys?).

I bought a boar-bristle shave brush (and one for Dad for his b-day) at the recommendation of others throughout p-net, but had mostly heard its uses touted along the lines of what Justin mentioned: External lens surfaces.

There is a nice exhaustive link somewhere on p-net that I read once (can't seem to find it now), but yikes... some of it was waaaaay too involved.

Peace,

Abe