Print different than image on screen.

I have a Canon Pixma MP530 printer. My laptop scren is not calibrated but I

have checked it side by side with others and looks OK.

The problem is when I print an image in the printer mentioned above, it is

totally different than the image on screen. Usually it is off color and

saturated with yellow high and blue less. I have to adjust all and try several

times before I get what is on the screen. The printer is CMYK and I am working

on RGB in CS2.

I am attaching a sample that looked good in my screen but when printed was

high on yellow. I had to increase blue upto +35 and increase cyan +11 to get

what I was looking at the screen.

Please advice what I am doing worng here.

Thanks<div>00OkrV-42219684.jpg.a47dccef05527ac020b1a4ad2ebba3c4.jpg</div>

The Canon printer firmwware expects you to send it the file in RGB form. Sending it a CMYK file means it will convert it to RGB and then into it's internal CMYK state.

You probably also need to learn about profiles as well. So you need to learn about basic color management. Try Andrew Rodney's "Color Management for Photographers" book.

Nice snap BTW.

Thanks Ellis for the comment and for the snap.

My CS2 color choice is already RGB. So you mean that while printing, @ options - color handling, I choose "let photoshp choose colors" and Printer profile "Adobe RGB (1998)".

Or something else.

Calibration basically means that your screen looks like your prints, so I'd say you need to do it. Other computers don't matter--you don't know that they'd make any better prints on your printer than yours does.

In my experience, ALL laptop screens are much too blue, as well as having some other smaller color problems,which would account for your yellow cast.

One way to "calibrate" if you're clever, is to tune up your screen until it looks like your print. Then the screen and the print will look the same. This is possible, but difficult for the inexperienced, to do without calibration tools and software, because PhotoShop and the screen adjustment stuff say the same things about color in very, very different ways. If you have windows, right click on the desktop, hit properties, and start digging for the color adjustments, and good luck!

Adobe RGB is a device-independent color space, NOT a print profile. The print profile is unique to the printer, inkset and type of paper. You can download print profiles for popular printers from most paper manufacturers, buy them from a third party or make them yourself using a reflective spectrophotometer (e.g., Eye-One Photo).

"One more thing: if you do what I said, turn of [off] ALL color management in Photoshop's color preferences"

That's profound ;-) On the other hand, a quick education in color management would work out better. Life is too short (and the pockets too shallow) for the trial-and-error approach.

Different set-up, but I used to have the same problem. I paid to get two profiles made, one

for gloss paper, one for matt. Since using them my prints have real punch and very good

colour accuracy.

The service I used is UK based, but I'm sure you can find something local to you. See this url

for info from my supplier:

http://www.fine-print.biz/page.php?identity=icc_profiles

"My laptop scren is not calibrated but I have checked it side by side with others and looks OK.

The problem is when I print an image in the printer mentioned above, it is totally different than the image on screen."

Then it is not "OK".

"Please advice what I am doing worng here."

Probably attempting photo editing on a laptop.

"Printer profile "Adobe RGB (1998)"

That is wrong. The printer profile is the one for the printer/paper combination you are using. The profiles should be on the cd you got with the printer. If not, browse the Canon website for the correct profiles.

It may not be possible to accurately calibrate your laptop monitor/video adapter. If you have any osd controls see what you may have in color controls. You may be able to choose sRGB or 6500k. If you can set brightness and contrast, set them to whatever is comfortable for your eyes. If the video adapter has software controls, set them to something neutral.