Canon digital cameras similar to the Canon EOS3

sharonw

Can anyone tell me which Canon SLR Digital is the most similar to the EOS3?

I love my EOS3 but if there is a SLR Canon digital which would be similar I

will immediately get that one and be happy for the rest of my life!

Sharon Mooney Welker<div>00OheL-42143484.jpg.e687b4aa947e89ccff6a05be233e1c32.jpg</div>

It would be the 5D, though I'd say a digital EOS-3 would sit between the current 5D and 1D series bodies.

I never used ECF on any of the bodies I had it one, so I personally don't miss it one bit!

I'm guessing you'll see face detection technology on an EOS DSLR before you'll see ECF

To JM,

And then you spend your entire disposable income for film for the rest of your life.

To Sharon,

Any of the newer dSLRs give you so much more control over the photographic environment. The learning curve is a vertical line, but once you have scaled it, it is like escaping jail. Go for it.

Jim

I went from the EOS3 to the 5D. I don't miss the ECF because I never used it, I rarely miss the array of focus points. I certainly don't miss waiting on film development and paying about $10 for each roll (with developing). The EOS3 is a more rugged body, but my 5D has survived so far. The EOS3 is loud compared to pretty much any SLR out there, I don't miss that either. good luck -jeffl

<p>If Canon were to introduce ECF on the 5D's successor, that would be a significant factor in my decision whether to upgrade my 20D to a 40D or to a 5D II. I miss it that much, every time I have to fiddle with a little joystick to try to make the camera's AF system focus on the thing I'm already looking at in the viewfinder.</p>

The camera closest to the EOS 3 is currently the Nikon D300. I had a chance to use one for a week when a friend was visiting and it is one sweet handling camera. Felt better than the 1DmkIII I was using and the image quality is very nice as well. Not as fast per frame as the MkIII but sure is a nice camera.

I also wish Canon would come out with a digital EOS 3. I still use mine for my B&W work and do like how they feel.

"The camera closest to the EOS 3 is currently the Nikon D300. "

Cool, I wondered when someone in Japan would wake up and implement ECF in a modern

DSLR! I'm there bro!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I didn't use the eye control that much either, but what I liked so much was the feel, the ease to change the shutter or Av. the mirror lock-up, AND, and this was important to me, the ease in using the t/s lenses.

I use the t/s 90mm alot, and do you think the 40D would be a good camera to buy that would be compatible with the t/s lenses?

"I use the t/s 90mm alot, and do you think the 40D would be a good camera to buy that would be compatible with the t/s lenses?"

Why would you think otherwise. The EOS3 was fully weather proofed, had EFC and had multi-spot metering other than that, I can't think of any other function that is missing from the 40D. Oh yeah the AF system was better.

I still have my EOS-3s, although they don't get out as much as they used to.

I do miss the 45 point AF, with it's ability to focus to f8, linked spot metering, etc.

I tried the ECF for a couple months (also on an Elan 7 and A2E, if I recall) and never found it all that useful. So, just turned it off an never used it again. It's not something I miss.

Yeah, I know some folks love ECF.

The 1D series cameras are actually the most like the EOS-3 and 1V, in terms of auto focus, metering, build, viewfinder and general functions. In fact, the 1D series AF is a somewhat refined version of the AF system that first appeared on the EOS-3. However, 1D series are bloody expensive cameras, as I'm sure you are aware.

Sharon I use the 45/2.8 TS-E quite a bit on my 30Ds (as well as the 24mm TS-E). The 1.6X crop of the camera makes the 45mm more useful to me than the 90mm would be, so I don't currently have a 90.

On the crop sensor cameras, like the 40D, my 30Ds and the Digi Rebels, you end up with even more potential movement with the tilt-shift lenses. There's still some vignetting at the extremes, light fall off at the corners and edges. In fact, fall off seems a little more precipitous with digital, than with film. I think this due to the way the light sensors sit down within a tiny well. The 40D has some sort of improved "lenses" over the sensor wells that might offset this effect to some degree, but I haven't it yet tried it.

If you wanted to handle the 90mm, in particular, exactly the same as you currently do on your EOS-3, I'd recommend a 5D or the 1Ds Mark III (if money is no object). If you happen to have a 45mm TS-E to step in as a short tele (acting as if it were a 72mm on your EOS-3) on a crop sensor, and if you might find a "longer" 90mm TS-E (acting like it's a 144mm on your EOS-3), then the 40D would be just the ticket.

The 40D has the most advanced AF system so far used on any of the mid-level Canon D-SLRs. It's a 9-point system, which really isn't all that different from the 11 or 13-point (I forget exactly which and am too lazy to go look) I normally used via custom function on my EOS-3. The 5D's AF is similar to the 40D's, but a somewhat older version that's more comparable in performance to the 30D, I suppose.

So, perhaps you could rent one or the other or both cameras, to get a feel for them?