Is the 300mm f/4 IS tripod collar removable?

davyjo

I have a 300mm f/4 IS and had read somewhere that the tripod collar/ring was

interchangeble with the 70-200mm f/4 IS but I can't seem to remove the ring and

it sounds like there are bearings between the collar and lens.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I have the 70-200 f4. If I remember right, you are correct that the collars are interchangeable. Just unscrew the collar until it is entirely loosened. Then pull out on the knob kind of like pulling out the stem on a wristwatch and the collar will pop open.

Darren

The 300f/4 IS collar is removable, but it does not open like the 70-200 collar. Remove the

lens from the camera body and put the rear lens cap in place. Then back the collar screw

fully out. Finally, rotate the collar around the lens while gently exerting pressure toward the

rear of the lens. At one point, and one point only, the collar will slip off the lens.

Installation is the reverse.

There are some (a?) small metal lug(s) on the lens barrel, so you will need to rotate the collar to match up.

The 70-200/4 is a very light lens, I've had no problem with mounting the camera body on the tripod rather than the lens. However, I can't guarantee that will be the case with one of the plastic bodies though.

P

Thanks everyone.

I bought the 300 without a manual and didn't dare try too hard to remove it. I see now that it just nicely slips off!

I'm hoping to sell my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and buy the Canon f/4 IS version.

Yes the 300 f4 IS tripod ring TMR-B(W), is removable, dismount the lens, loosen the locking screw and rotate until the TMA's red dot and the lens mount red dot are aligned and it will slip off. Refitting is the reverse of removal.

My understanding is both of the 70-200 f4's use the TMR-A(W), the IS having a special version with a minor upgrade.

Although the 300 f4 used the TMR-AW the IS version uses the TMR-B(W) which is the same as the macro lenses and 70-200 f2.8 (IS) except the black lenses come with a TMR-B(B). The TMR-A is in common with the 200/2.8 and 400/5.6. The difference between (W) and (B) is just the paint colour.