Which to buy

I am new to digital photography and I need to buy a camera but I do not know

which one. I need a very light weight one as my right hand is deformed and I

basically only use my thumb and fore finger. Right now I am using a Lumix

DMC-fz10. I like it very much as it is light and easy for me to use but I am

only borrowing it till I can buy a camera.I am also on a tight budget and can

only spend no more than $800.I want to take photos of wildlife, landscape and

macro or anything nature. What would be the best for me? I am leaning towards a

Nikon D40 but I am not sure. Thank you for your input. cher..

Since you are mentioning a D40, I assume you want a dslr. I think it makes sense especially if you are interested in wildlife and macro, and more generally if you want very good image quality. The D40 is a nice sweet camera, very easy to use and still effective, great image quality, light and small but with a nice solid feeling... and is really cheap now. It is a good choice. But it is not the onely one: Canon, Olympus and Sony offers may be in your budget(you have to check). Try to hold them and see how they interact with the problem you have with your hand, if a crucial control is in a bad position for you, this may be critical. Ciao L.

Also try mounting and unmounting lenses to make sure that you want and can use this feature. Otherwise, one of the near-SLRs w/o interchangeable lens but a big zoom may be a better solution for you.

I will mention that the Canon Rebel cameras are light and easy to use (XT, XTi, and so on, aka 350D, 400D outside USA). Even with the kit lens, the price would be under your limit, and you'd have enough to buy the light, cheap, and good 50mm f/1.8 Mk II for about $80 or less)

Hi cher, I think the D40 is an excellant and affordable SLR. If you did not handle the camera go to a camera store and handle it to make sure it is suitable for you. If it is differcult for you to change lenses I would suggest a 18-200 zoom with motion control. Nikon has their version and Sigma also has one which is much cheaper than Nikon's. Some say Sigma's 18-200 os zoom len is as good or better than Nikons 18-200 VR. The D40 plus the Sigma lens should fall close to your price range. Good luck in your search.

Kindest regards, Dan

Check out the E510 by olympus. It is quite light compred to other dslr's and has in body stablization. It has a small brother E410 but that does not have body IS. They have good kit lenses 14-42 and 40 - 150 mm (crop factor x2) so that covers a good range. You can always upgrade to the high grade ones.

The Sony A200 (10mp) has in camera image stabilization and with a kit lens is within your budget. It's light weight and the Camera can use any auto focus Minolta or Sony lens ever made. The Nikon D40x is nice also but it will only take certain Nikon lenses. The image stabilization on the Nikon is built into some but not all Nikon lenses. Here is a link to the Sony camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539540-REG/Sony_DSLRA200K_Alpha_DSLR_A200_SLR_Digital.html

Cher

As Brendan said D40 with sigma 18-200 is the best chioce. Don't go for D40x unless you want to print larger size photos. 18-200 sigma lens is dam cheap than Nikon's 18-200 and comes with all feauters of the later. HSM works silently, OS (VR of Nikon) is fantastic and the it is single solution for most of the shots.

Best of luck.

Thanks everyone.I will go to a store and try out some of these cameras. I thought about an Olympus but the one I was looking at did not use lithion batteries and I prefer them. Is Nikon worth paying for the name? Oh What about filters? If I get 1 What should it be? Thanks.cher..

Nikon is work for money (not only for the name but the service and the quality). However, D40 comes with kitlens which is just ok. For 18-200 (sigma)72 mm filters will do fine. Get one polarizer filter and if you are interested in macro then get some hoya magnifying filters (set of +1, +2 +4).

regards

• 3 weeks later...