model Ektapro and Ektagraphic projectors? In particular, I'm interested in

possible differences in durability, reliability, cooling systems (which might

result in noticable improvements in center-to-corner image sharpness), lens

options (do both models accept all the same lenses?), and ease of use. My

primary use would be in the home.

I know that only used models of either type can be had today, but I'm still

interested in finding these things out.

Thank you.

If you're not setting up a slide show that's going to run 8 hours a day, the durability of the Kodak professional projectors isn't going to be relevant to you. Also, if you buy a used one, you're likely to get one with a lot of miles on it, either running a long-term slide show, or trucked about from one site to another by some A/V rental place.

If you buy a used consumer Carousel, like the 4000 series, you're going to get a very low mileage projector. They generally cost more to ship than to buy. Buy two, who cares if one breaks.

The last models of Ektagraphics just appear to be "pro" versions of the 4000 series Carousels.

This page:

http://slideprojector.kodak.com/compare.shtml

compares the lines.

Well, I suppose the most important difference is that Ektagraphics have a 1300 watt lamp, instead of a 1000 watt lamp. This is mostly important for big screens. Of course, unless you need the extra brightness, you're just going to fade your Kodachromes faster.

The Ektagraphic also adds precise registration of the slides over the Carousel. Relevant only for multi-screen multi-projector shows.

The Ektapro is a very fancy beast indeed, serial port control, random access to slides. I'd be concerned that all the extra hardware is just more things to fail, and you'll be paying a premium for features you probably don't need.

It does appear that the Ektapro lenses are a step up from the others. But they use the same rack focusing as the other projectors, you can buy them separately. Or, there are adapters for Leica Colorplan lenses in Kodak projectors, if you're willing to buy a really expensive projector lens.

All the service manuals for the last generations of these projectors can be downloaded from Kodak's site. You can study them and draw your own conclusion about how they are built.

John has pretty much covered it but Kodak Carousel, Ektagraphic and Ektapro projectors are all basically the same. The Carousels were the consumer model, the Ektagraphic the "professional" model and the Ektapro the latest of the pro series with special features like computer control. I agree -- for home use a Carousel is fine. Even the Carousels are so basic and rugged you'd have a hard time wearing one out. Kodak only stopped making the series about two years ago, so there may very well be new projectors still in stock at some dealers. There are thousands flooding ebay and elsewhere, though, that can be picked up for pennies on the dollar.

Thank you for you answer John.

"It does appear that the Ektapro lenses are a step up from the others. But they use the same rack focusing as the other projectors, you can buy them separately. Or, there are adapters for Leica Colorplan lenses in Kodak projectors, if you're willing to buy a really expensive projector lens."

Where would one find such an adapter for using Leica Colorplan in an Ektagraphic or Ektapro? I'd love to know.

Personally, I am sticking with the Ektagraphic AMT III model, and probably will pick up another one or two. I've got a couple of lesser Ektagraphics that I'll probably dump, and a Carousel, just because I might as well standardize if I'm collecting the equipment that will last me the rest of my life!

I do have an AM III that I'll keep, that's the same as the AMT without the automatic-advance timer, a feature that I rarely use.

There's nothing wrong with the Carousel, I just like the Ektagraphic.

The Ektapro has little or nothing in common with the Ektagraphic or Carousel other than using the same trays and accepting the same lenses. Well, I suspect that Kodak Inc. owns all of the stock of Kodak GmbH, but that's about it. The Ektapro was designed by the German company and sold only in Europe. The controls are completely different and won't accept remotes or sequencers that plug into the Ektagraphic.

Oh, they both use the same 300w lamps, I just was scanning the manual and they get 1300 lumens for 35 hours out of the standard EXY that the Ektagraphics use, they also specify the FHS for 80% of the light but double the time, and the EXY draws 250 watts for 60% of the light but lasts for 200 hours.

If you're not going to be running multimedia shows based on existing control systems, the Ektapro might be a good option. There's one on eBay right now attracting no bids at all, sporting a super-wide 25mm lens and a whopping 3700 lumen light source.

As to the lenses, most of the Carousel and Ektagraphic models were sold with really rotten lenses in plastic bodies, while it appears that the Ektapro was normally sold with worthy glass. My collection of lenses is all Buhl and Navitar professional gear, it hadn't occurred to me to expect good lenses from Kodak!

Van