Homebrew Wide Angle Medium Format Camera

I've had quite a bit of time at work recently and this is what I've come up

with. It's a Compur shutter with a nikon mount stuck on the front mounted to the

rear plate of a Mamiya RB67 which allows me to use the RB film back. This

projects a circular image on the film. I made it for a fisheye but haven't found

one yet so in the mean time I've been using a 20mm. Works fantastic!

Rob; I'll post more when i develop them. I resealed the body to stop the light leaks and just got back from shooting it with a 14mm Tamron, should be interesting to see what that does.

Sheldon; you should totally do the SpeedGraphic idea!

I still have the lens but didn't bother to see what it was. I could mount a polaroid on this one pretty easily. Upload yours when you get it going, I'd like to see what others are doing with their free time.

Giles, I'm using part of a 105mm lens off of an old 6x9 camera. The length of the extension and the area of coverage is directly related to the distance from the lens to the shutter/center element. So the closer the lens is to the shutter, the less extension and the smaller the image circle. Hold the lens further away and the extension gets longer and the coverage gets greater. On the "ground glass" the image appears crisp and without chromatic aberration, but I'll have to do real tests with film to confirm it.

If you were to do something similar, your shutter appears to be out of a 150mm or 135mm lens from a plate camera, so you can expect a pretty long snoot and a coverage somewhere near 4x5. It's gonna take me a couple weeks to get film to test it out once I'm finished but I'll be sure to publish images of the camera here when it's complete.

• 3 weeks later...