Prime Lenses

A fast prime like a 50/1.4 or 85/1.4 (compared to a lens with a maximum aperture of say f 2.8 or more) not only allows for faster shutter speeds but also gives you a viewfinder image that is much brighter.

Also in the case of manual focus lenses (I know - a rarity these days)the fast lens gives you a much smaller DOF in your wide open viewfinder image, which results in more accurate focusing.

It's a shame that so many people today never experience the enjoyment of working with a good, fast prime in available light. It's really not a case of one or the other though. Get at least one decent zoom and also one fairly fast prime lens.

I'd get thrown out of the stadium if I tried to zoom with my feet. The ref doesn't want a 12th man in the huddle.

Seriously, folks, so much posturing and machismo. I don't crop, real men use primes, blah, blah, blah. I do the best that I can to frame my shots, but sometimes a crop is needed. Particulrly for sports. And, in some situations, you'd be crazy to shoot with primes. Other times, sure, it makes sense.

Overall a prime should be optically better than a zoom built to the same standard.

One of the good things about primes is that they involve a kind of mental discipline about taking shots. You have to think about getting things just right, rather than just twisting the zoom ring. I don't often do it now, but it's nice to go out with just one (prime) lens and work with that when I'm taking photos for myself.

To say that a prime is "cheap" is quite a broad generalisation; an EF50/1.8 yes, a 400/2.8 or 85/1.2 no way.

My 2p

P