Can you point me in the right direction? Please

I have moved to digital recently and I have the following equipment:

iMac 24 inch (latest intel)

Spyder2 (calibration tool)

Canon Pixma Pro9000

Canon 40d (currently own 24-70mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8)

Photoshop Cs2

iphoto (will get aperture or lightroom at some point)

Installed canon easy photo print pro

I am trying to establish a colour management system and although I get the basic priciples I feal lost

when it comes to execution and I have resorted to a plea for help.

1) I calibrated my iMac, Spyder asked to put monitor to factory default but there is no such thing on a

mac so I read somewher to put brightness to high.

2) I am best to print from CS2, iphoto or the canon easy photo print pro

3) What are the settings I should use based on the answer to (2)

4) The printer has many printer profiles however no guidance on which to use when (if any)

4) I'm using sRGB rather than Adobe RGB, is this correct

5) What are the pit falls I am likely to experience

6) Printing results so far have been mediocre

If anyone has a spare couple of hours to show off their knowlegde I would be most grateful.

1.)Can't speak to Spyder software. Eye One Match does that automatically even with an iMAc. 50% is better than full brightness however.

2.) PsCS2 but you'll need to convert (convert , not assign) your file that you are sending to the printer to the right profile for the paper you are using and makesure color management is turned off i nthe Canon printer driver (which is what you are in once you leave the initisl Print dialog in PsCs2.

4. The right profile to use is the rofile for that specific paper with that printer model.

5. Start wit han adobe RGB file and convert it to the aper/printer profile. Your printer can handle a larger gamut than sRGB.

6.) pitfalls? double profiling; not using the right profile; using a bad profile.

"I also have my monitor profile and workspace set to the profile I set up with the spyder2 calibration tool, is this correct?

"

No it is not. Once you've made a good dispaly profile and it is installed i nthe right place you don't have t odo anything more with it. ICC aware applications (most Apple and Adobe programs) are ICC profile aware so the display profile is being used automatically.. Set your workspace to Adobe RGB(1998).

Andrew Rodney's book "Color Management for Photographers" is a first rate guide to practical color management for photographers at all levels. It even has a bit in there about how to test your display profile.

Ellis, can't thank you enough. When you say use set the workspace to adobe RGB as

opposed to sRGB, my 40d is set to sRGB and so should I keep myworkspace on sRGB?

When I import the file should I jeep the emdedded sRGB profile edit as required and then

convert to the profile I need for printer/paper combo? But won't the image look different

when I convert?

Also when you say workspace are you refering to the edit/colour settings / settings and

RGB?

I'm confused as to what to put these settings to.

Ben. When using Windows, this is what I've found with the Canon 9000. If you have installed a specific paper profile make sure that you set the correct Print Quality. Then under Properties, select Manual for Color and None for Color Correction. If I don't have a specific profile I find that selecting the nearest paper match and setting the Print Quality to Windows ICM works better than the Auto setting.

For Mac use I can only quote the alternative instructions and hope it means something to you. Assuming that you have selected 'Let Photoshop Determine Colors' and have installed and chosen the best paper profile. Select 'Options/Printer Profile' and 'Rendering Intent:Relative Colorimetric' then press 'Print . . .'

In the 'Copies & Pages' menu select 'Quality & Media' and choose the best media type (ie Photo Paper Pro). Under 'Print Mode' select 'Detailed Setting' and move the 'Print Quality' slider to 'Fine'.

Choose 'Colour Options' in the 'Quality & Media' menu and make sure to select 'None' in the 'Colour Correction' menu. Then just press 'Print'.

It sounds similar to the Windows controls. I have found that the choice of paper does matter and I get good results with Canon Photo Paper Pro but cheap paper produces disappointing results.

Adobe RGB, which can be chosen in most cameras or RAW conversions, is better than sRGB but sometimes sRGB is simpler as you will have to convert adobe to sRGB for internet use; I'm sure you already know that.

Hope this might help a little.