M6 TTL Meter Dies Suddenly

andy_coach

Hi, I am an amateur Leica user and this is the 1st time an M-body broke down on

me. I would greatly appreciate your help.

<br><br>

I got this used, nice-looking M6 TTL and the meter just died half-way through

the 1st roll. I tried two brand new batteries, nothing. Is there something else

I can check before sending it in for repairs? Also, who can repair the M6 TTL

electronics? Thanks!

..strong chance, that it's either the contacts on the back door, or the ASA/ISO selector. Try changing the ASA/ISO (move the wheel all over the place), and see if that helps.

Also look for anything on the back door contacts, and the spot where they contact their copper dots on the body. try cleaning them very carefully with either a q-tip or lightly with a toothpick dipped in pure alcohol.

I had the same problem. If those don't do it for ya, it's CLA time.

good luck.. hope it's a simple fix!

Well, I am almost too embarrassed to write this - while the old battery that came with the M6 was indeed dead, in my hurry to replace it, I inserted the new ones backwards. All is good now, the M6 meters again. Thanks a bunch, Paul and Joel, for the much appreciated tips, I saved them for later use.

"photographing w/ lens cap *on* and having this pointed out ... by your subject. :-)"

<br><br>

Oh, that one used to happen to me quite often, it sure didn't help my photographic ego :) <br>I finally developed the habit of taking the lens cap off the moment the camera comes out of the bag...

Here are some more things that I did. I hope you don't experience them:

<p>- draining the battery by forgetting to turn the camera "off" (I did this on the first night)

<br>- closing the bottom plate without making sure the back is fully in place, so it flaps open to your surprise

<br>- opening the back without having wound the film back into the cassette

<br>- shooting 40+ frames on a roll of 36 (improper loading)

<p>Here's a video with a good loading tip for M4, M6, M7, MP cameras (crimp the end of the leader):

<p>

<p>How to load a M2 or M3:

<p>

<p>How to load a Screwmount (LTM) camera:

<p>

<p>How not to hold the camera, but still look good:

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzqqpy7_xPI&feature=related

Sorry, but I disagree with that "magic" solution of crimping the leader end to load the

camera. It's nowhere in the manual simply because it risks hurting the shutter curtains

when you rewind it.

The very best thing to do to load a Leica is simply as the manual says: just make sure the

film holes engage with the sprocket wheel on the right side of the camera (as you look at

it open, in front of you). The take up spool DOES NOT pull the film out of the canister; it's

the sprocket wheel that pushes it into the take up spool.

Cannot find a youtube.com video, but check Andrew Nemeng's Leica website to double

check.