I'm going to be be shooting a gymnastics event in 3 weekends time and this is

not something I've covered before. They only have 2 events there so looking for

suggestions.

The events covered are the floor and the vault....... where are the best places

to stand, what should I be looking for in the shot, and anything else you can

think of?

I will be working with the 1D mkIII, and choice of Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 70-

200mm f2.8 and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

If you have example shots these will help too.

Thanks,

Mark

I can't answer your question directly, but here's what I'd do. Look up Sports Illustrated

articles on gymnastics. Plenty of stuff from Olympic Games. From the photos, figure out

where the photographer was, and which views you find most expressive. Get credentialed so

you can get as close as possible.

floor exercises comp:

*Try to get a clean background! Probably impossible, but look anyways.

*When the music starts - start shooting! (per Paul Alessi on Fred Miranda's sports forum)

*Starting position is usually nice shot to get, asis the ending position, though they only hold it for split second.

*Gonna take lots of practice to get the flips in focus. Lots and ots!

* Dark leotards are difficult to get focus on, esp in drk areas of the mat area. I had a sky light over part of mat on my last shoot. Gave some nice lighting effects as though set up in studio, almost.

* my gallery is at http://shoppix.smugmug.com in the Cranberry Gymnastics gallery. My morning shooting was most lall at the floor exercise mat. During the afternoon I moved around.

**the vault:

* I have trouble finding right spot to get something nice. See what direction lighting is coming from - over head, or from 1 side or ther.

*I often sit on floor at end of mat where they land. Or, same end but off to one side or other. Stand up for different viewpoint.

I suppose yu know - no flash allowed.

Bring another body with another lens if available. What I have and been using is a 70-200 2.8 and 17-50 2.8. Do not have the 85 1.8, yet! The 120-300 may be way too long unless you can get up high, from a distance and shoot down at your subject. See if theycan get you a 6-8' step ladder.

Good luck

Steve Hopkins

Likely to have a cleaner background if you are shooting from above (i.e. the floor), however if you want to make the flips/jumps look bigger you will want to shoot from below. Just see what works, you might find the roof/upper wall is a clean background, particulary with shallow DOF. You may need something wider too, at least 50mm maybe a wide zoom like steve said, worth having on hand just incase.

• 4 weeks later...