I'm a 17 year old disabled Amateur photographer

gabe_razo

You're at a good age to be a photographer. I find it harder to be creative and think differently at 50 than I did at 17.

The best advice I can give is to produce a lot of photos, don't be afraid to make mistakes, sort through your photos ruthlessly and show only your best. Good art comes from doing, not overthinking.

I'll give you an example: My mom's a painter (acrylics). She frets over every brushstroke. When I visit she'll ask for my opinion of her work - it'll be the same painting she's been working on for a month and I can't see any difference since the last time. If there is a difference it's that the freshness is gone and it's overworked. Last year a friend asked her to paint a still life and preferred a certain color scheme. Mom agreed. It's taken her so long to produce *one* painting the woman has since changed the color scheme in her home. Drives mom crazy when we paint together because I give myself 30 minutes to finish a watercolor. If it's not done, I move on to the next. If I take too long I overwork it and it stops looking fresh.

Be prolific.

Sorry about that. But if you have a myspace profile, feel free to add me. Unfortunately, this website only lets me post 5 photos unless I subscribe (Which i can't because I dont have a credit card) Do you happen to know any other photography themed website that will let me post more of my photography?

Gabe, You've got a really good start! I already see the beginning of a great look for your images. I like the one of your brother, even though it was with a cell phone. I'm amazed at the quality actually. It has a great range of tones. It's proof that you don't need expensive equipment so long as you've got talent.

There is still a lot of variation of your work. You've obviously got a great start. Think about what you have to say. What is your perspective? How do you see life? What are the themes you can capture? I'd probably work toward getting 10 images in a formal portfolio (we all have scads of images, but narrowing them down to 10 or so makes us really understand our work and what we are after). I really liked your homeless teen image. The composition is great, and it is very moving. That ability to move people will have a dramatic impact on your work.

When I was just a little older than you (maybe 18 or 19), I took a picture of a homeless person. It as a great shot in that I managed to capture the range of tone of his skin, the teary, weary eyes. It ended up getting accepted in a major art museum competition. It told a story, much like your teen shot does. That stuff is very powerful, and you should pursue those themes that tell a story and move people to understand more about your generation and your challenges.

Keep going and keep asking for feedback. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the great feedback.

The responses of my friends and family of the photo of my little brother actually inspired me to persue photography (it was my very first photo for photography class). It seemed to trigger peoples emotions, but everyones response was compleatly different! For example, my cousin said "He looks like he's really thinking hard", but my photography teacher said "Why does he look sad?". And my friend said "he looks like he misses someone." It really got me excited about photography.

ps

My Mother says Thank you very much for the gift subscribition.

Gabe, if you look at a book of Pulitzer Prize winning photos, you don't see sunrises, seascapes or pictures of El Capitan in Yosemite Valley. You see photos of the human condition whether it be war, poverty or suffering or grief. You are too young to remember to remember but there are pictures from 30-40 yrs. ago that stand out to me like yesterday: The intense stare of an Afgani girl on the cover of the National Geographic Mag; The young, naked Vietnamese girl running in terror down the street; The wailing college girl kneeling over the fallen body of a friend at the Kent State Univerity massacre. Many of the older members here will remember these and their impact on people.

You have a unique perspective that you should nurture and it will serve you well as you go on with your work. Good Luck.

Again, thank you! Thats exactly what i needed to hear right now! Because someone wrote me a very... How do I put it?... Harsh and ignorent comment on my Homeless teen photo. Here i'll show you:

John Soulnier S. III, February 22, 2008; 12:23 A.M.

Never take a photo of someone crying we take photos of things we want to remember the most not the least! One more thing I did read your Bio, and I'm still going to be a tuff ass! Regards.

So this is my response:

Gabe Razo, February 22, 2008; 07:57 P.M.

Response to John

1) I dont expect ANYBODY to give me pity compliments just because I'm in a Wheelchair. So far I have lived a hard life, and taking the easy way out is NOT my thing, so I thank you for being a "tuff ass"

2)I did NOT take this picture just for people to say "Nice lighting" or "Great shot!". NO, I took this shot to send a message, and apparently it flew way over your head.

-Gabe

Haha Thanks again Paul!

Gabe, I'm shocked you got this comment. I think it is one of your most powerful photographs. That's what I would like to see more of. What an opportunity to take something that is difficult to look at and make people aware of the problem. I work for a non profit that deals a lot with discrimination and other social justice problems. I wish I was able to convey subjects like this. It is very powerful, but it is also difficult for the photographer.

As for your comment about pitying you for being in a wheelchair: Good for you! Many people, including myself, have medical problems. It's not even reasonable to compare one person's journey or barrier to another's. God has a plan for us either way, and I am so proud of you for being yourself Gabe. You have tremendous maturity. I've always said the smartest people I've ever met are artists and comedians. They draw on a power and a place that so few of us ever can (I struggle with a vision myself), but I clearly see you have it. It's one thing to be technically good (I'm near there), but it's another to have the ability to see an image and tell a story. I think young people have a lot of opportunity to do just that.

Wow thanks! You have given me a huge confidence boost that I really needed. So far I have talked to many different people on this website, most encouraging, some not so encouraging. But everyone has their own opinion. But out of everyone I?ve spoken with, you Michael have given me the most confidence and inspiration to become the best photographer I can possibly be, and I sincerely thank you for that.

My goal right now is to try to make a name for myself in photography.

And if I continue to take powerful and emotional shots like you said, I think I?m well on my way.

God bless

-Gabe

Hi Gabe, I just wanted to let you know you have some great shots that tell very interesting stories. My favorite is your stray dog, The b/w works great for that shot. Keep up the good work, ask ? and don't take offence to the rude one's it just gives them something to feed off. Charlie.