an archaeological excavation. I need to archive with a high level of detail and

make working copies of selected images at a smaller size. My question has to

do with an appropiate scanner(s). I have been looking at the Nikon 5000 and

9000. I am concerned that these scanners are 4 years old and do not seem to

suport the new operating systems. I am also concerned that several dealers are

out of them and don't know when or if they can get them. Is there a new

scanner out? or about to come out? Is the technology dated? In reading the

various reviews,the slide feeder appears to be a problem. Also, it looks like

these scanners can not handle 4x5 negatives. Is there a better soulution?

Thanks.

I would address one format at a time. For the 35mm I believe the Nikon 5000 is working with Windows Vista, at least with some work around. I think Les Sarille has accomplished this, and perhaps he will comment. I don't believe this scanner has any problems running Windows XP. Help responders by letting them know your operating system.

For your 4x5's I think the best option is good flatbed, maybe the Epson V700?

Mendal is correct, you need to consider this as two different problems - on for the 35mm slides, the other for the 4x5 negatives.

The best scans for 35mm slides or negatives are from dedicated film scanners like the Nikon Coolscan V or Coolscan 5000. Nikon has released Nikon Scan 4.0.3 that works with Windows Vista and supports the Coolscan V, Coolscan 5000, Coolscan 9000, as well as some earlier models. This release is specific for Windows Vista. It is a free download from the Nikon site. See: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14463&p_created=1197431840&p_sid=AyzBFdZi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=61&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSw1JnBfcHJvZHM9MjUmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0xLjI1JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12aXN0YQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

For your 4x5 negatives, you are constrained to either flatbed scanners like the Epson V700 or V750, or to drum scanners like the Imacon - better, but very expensive.

An alternative would be to use a scanning service. You might look into Scan Cafe; they use Nikon Scanners. I have never used them, so you will have to research them.

The LS5000 does work with Windows XP; I just learned from a colleague who borrowed mine that the Nikon software has problems with the slide feeder (crashes every few slides) under OS X 10.5 on an Intel Mac, but works just fine with an older PowerPC Mac.

If I remember correctly, Nikon Scan takes about 140 seconds per slide on my older (2.6 GHz Celeron) XP machine, with ICE scratch reduction turned on.

The slide feeder does have issues with cardboard frames that like to interlock, but these problems can be overcome; solutions have been posted in this forum (dowel pin behind slides).

Definitely look at the bulk loader with the Nikon 5000 for 35mm. Mendel got it right up top, you have two separate projects here. A flat bed won't do 35mm justice. The Nikon scanners have been out for a few years but are excellent. Short of going to expensive drum scans, nothing is better and I don't think anyone expects any more scanners to come out, so you won't regret purchasing one of these. Several thousand 35mm slides? Perhaps you could purchase two 5000 and easily sell one or both when you're done. Older computers to hook them up to are literally free in cases, and you could just keeps them scanning during the work day.

If you're concerned about computer compatibility, you may want to find an older unit with no issues and make that a dedicated scanning computer. You'll also want to consider how you're going to store this huge amount of information.

As someone else suggested, it might be more cost effective to have a service do the scanning for you, though I'm sure I'd be concerned about the images getting misplaced at that volume.

Sounds like a great project, best of luck with your book :)

Thanks to everyone for your help. You have confirmed many of the things I had suspected, and that saves me a lot of time in further looking. Yes, I need to consider this as two projects, one for 35mm and a second for 4x5. I had hoped there might be a reasonably priced machine that could do both, and I was worried about the results of doing the 4x5 on a flatbed scanner. I will be checking on the various flatbeds you folks mentioned. In the past we have used a Microtek 9600XL with a transparency adapter. Unfortunately, with our machine there is a problem with the power supply and Microtek no longer provides parts or service. We need to replace that machine, and am hoping to find a non Microtek scanner that will do 11x17 scans, and now also bw sheet film.

I suspect the Nikon coolscan 5000 is my best bet for the 35 mm. I don't need the medium format that the 9000 provides. I think we will probably take a chance on the slide feeder. Many of the slides can be scanned automatically with little or no human intervention. A friend did a similar project and loaded the slide feeder a couple of times a day while he was doing other things. However, there are several hundred particularly important slides that may call for some "fussing around" to make sure we get the best possible results.

We are currently using Windows XP Professional. We expect to replace at least one computer later this year and it will probably use Vista.

We considered sending the slides and negative out to be done commercially, but are afraid things could be lost. It also calls for our intervention to recognize particularly important slides/negatives that may call for adjustment in settings. I know that this involves a considerable time commitment. I am trying to design the project in such a way that I can train an assistant to do much of the scanning with some intervention by me. We have some grant money to help with the costs.

The items we will be archiving (photos as well as notes, maps, etc.) are from a large Native American burial ground excavated in the early 1960's. Because of changes in sentiment and new laws, such excavations are not possible today, and may not be possible again for many years. The data is particularly important and sensitive. Much of the original recording is in reasonably good shape, though some of the slides are beginning to fade and some of the original notes are on paper that is turning color or uses ditto. We anticipate storing the archived files on an external hard drive with DVD backups. We will then select appropriate images for one or more CD/DVD at lesser resolution to accompany the monograph we are preparing. We are hoping that having the images and related drawings on a CD/DVD accompanying the publication rather than in the monograph itself will be a compromise with the Native Americans with regard to publishing photographs of burial. We have reason to think that this may work. This entire project will take a year or more.

Once again, thanks to you all for your help and guidance.