Looking for a decent Tripod and Head for Canon 40D

michael_wilson9

I have a 40D and have been looking myself. In that price range, Bogen may have something that would interest you. I will put a link below. I went to B&H and put "Bogen 190 xpro" and about 22 configurations came up. Some had the ball heads too. They are of interest to me. Below is a link to one of the models. Read some good reviews in the photo mags about this tripod. Likely a lot of tripod for the money. I have a Bogen 3011 and it is very nice. I am looking for something a little smaller/lighter. Here is the link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480309-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XPROB_804RC2_190XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

I recently purchased a Amvona carbon fiber tripod and magnesium head from ebay for my 30d and haven't been disappointed. The whole thing cost me around 100$ with shipping.

The tripod model is the AT-CF92 and the head H95 i do believe.

Its a fairly light weight set up, under four pounds and i'm quite happy with the product.

I have to add though, i've not used comparable manfrotto or bogen products.

cheers nico

Whatever it is, I would make it used; not new. My two current tripods (Bogen 3051 and 3036, both with 3047 heads) cost me under $300 for both; 1/4 of what they would have cost me new, and just as usable.

I can't speak highly enough of the 3051. I use it for everything, because of how solid and quick to set up it is, but it is a tripod that can support 8x10, so it is rather large. A shoulder strap takes care of the weight, but it will always be large.

The 3036 is kind of in no man's land. It is slightly smaller than the 3051, but sets up much slower and has three leg sections instead of two like the 3051, so is less stable. It will support anything up to 4x5 or a light 8x10, but I think if you are going to go that far anyhow, just go for the 3051.

One of these will likely be the last tripod you will ever need, but you don't "need" either of them for your camera. They are overkill, and I would only get them if you will be using it for multiple formats very often. The 3033 is probably one of the best high-quality tripods for those who only use small format, and will do OK for medium format, unless situations are bad (slow shutter speeds, wind, not the most stable placement, etc.). All three legs extend from the center at once; one thing neither of the heavier models do. They do have to be individually set for height, though, unlike the 3051, which lets you control the height of each leg from near the head. The tripod is also very light for how well built it is.

Prices for 3036 and 3051 with 3047 head: $150 - $200.

for 3033 with 3047 head: $100 to $125.

If you can't get them for that much, just wait. They will come up.

keith

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm is, in my opinion, a very important piece to read before buying.

It seems that priority sequence of gear might just be len then tripod then camera body.

If you get a real cheapy, will you just have to replace it when you get the next lens? Tripods are like camera bags - buy wrong in the beginning and you end up with a closet of them. I know not everyone can afford $1,000+ for tripod and head, but even if you jump to the $300 range, you will get a rig that will be more versatile.

BTW, I took the expensive, multiple-purchase route and am now at the stage where I need to upgrade because my 40D with battery grip and 200-500 just doesn't lock down and creeps when lens is pointed up - camera and grip are too heavy for lens, so it is out of balance.

Just a thought. HTH

A used Bogen 3033 with a 3047 head. Any of the 70-200s will be fine on it. It is light, cheap, and good quality. You will kick yourself if: 1. You buy something crummy like that Amvona crap people keep suggesting, just to save money, or 2. You buy new instead of used and thus throw away four times the amount of cash you need to.

Keith

>>> The largest lens I may eventually get is the 70-200mm L series.<<<

Without other requirements & shooting details, I`d suggest initially putting more $ into the tripod and getting a simple, but good quality ball head: with the view to getting a more specific head later, a ball head is alway handy.

Manfrotto 055 PRO B is about the leanest I would use for a 70 to 200F2.8L, using the collar mount: an inexpensive ball to suit that would be a Manfrotto 486.

I do not know if that exceeds the budget: my opinion is the second hand shops are full of cheap tripods that were `thought` to be stable.

WW

• 3 weeks later...