5D finally tethered to a MacBook Pro, but ....

marco_hidalgo

As mentioned in my last post. I couldn't tether my 5D to the MacBook Pro, using OS 10.5 Leopard.

I downgraded my computer to system 10.4.10 and now it is working again! I am not sure what is wrong

with Leopard + EOS Utility 2.3.0 + 5D . But the computer's integrated webcam wasn't working as well and

MSN Messenger was also showing some problems. So I decided to go back to 10.4 for now.

Thanks to M Barbu for all the help shown, and I hope this issue can be addressed by Canon.

I suspect both are to blame. Canon were certainly slow to provide Vista and 64 bit compatible software, and have been even slower to handle Mac updates. Given the have just released a Mac EOS utility update, you might have thought they would have taken the trouble to ensure it was compatible with Leopard and the full range of Canon bodies.

I ran both Canon Utility and Capture One Pro on my Powerbook running 10.5.1. It was after

my installing the 10.5.2 update that all was lost. I had to wipe the hard drive and do a clean

install to 10.5.1. Now I will not be keeping my system as is and let everyone else be a beta

tester.

Cool. I figured it was Leopard. The latest Tiger update is OS 10.4.11. I must say it's the

best of the litter and all my apps both old and new run perfectly. Even Classic mode on my

G4 Duel MDD is stable, prints and runs all sorts of ancient software that hasn't worked for

years. All my PCI cards work correctly and are compatible with deep sleep, etc. It took

Apple about 2 years to work all the bugs outta Tiger. I recall OX 10.6 hosed several of my

PCI cards, Remote Capture stopped working and Deep Sleep crashed the computer if a CF

card was mounted. Several updates later all was well. Unfortunately I suspect Leopard and

Canon need a little more time...

Canon doesn't have a track record of fast driver/app updates. They're really in the

hardware business and software is a mere afterthought. When Apple went from OS 9 to 10

it took Canon 2 years to update it's scanner drivers for OS 10.2x. They worked for about a

year under OS 10.3 and stopped working with OS 10.4x. I gave up and bought SilverFast...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Leopard, Tiger...hey, it's a zoo out there ;P

I know - every time Steve comes up with a new OS you have to wait (and in some cases pay for) software companies to re-code their stuff...which by the time it's all done here come another wild beast...out of Steve's zoo...it's an endless cycle...of animals, software upgrades, downgrades, mochaccinos and of course biscottis on the side.

How could you get along without any of it? ;P

• 1 month later...