Ban sunsets?

ken munn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, that's a pretty ignorant statement. Yes there are a lot of images of sunsets, but rarely are they captured well. The same could be said about any other category. Shooting into dramatic light while maintaining dynamic range is extremely difficult. Think it isn't? Take your Fisher Price camera and try it some time.

Pete, sunsets happen at least once a day, so don't try to forbid the event at least.

However behind the question I find an approach to photography that I don't agree on. It is not because

something is difficult that result suddenly becomes interesting for others than sportsmen and technology freaks.

It is the quality of photos we should concentrate on and not the process or the equipment. Info on the latter

is only interesting for many of us in order to make it understandable how it was made.

I agree completely, sunset shots are a cheap trick. They are beautiful but the truth is they are so bloody simple to shoot. Anyone who says there is some challenge is kiddin himself bigtime. The only real problem is dragging one's ass there on the beach. And yes, it can be frustrating having a sunset shot collecting praise and hi ratings and next there is a photo which has been very difficult to execute and gets overlooked. Flowers are similar to sunsets in that no matter how you shoot it still looks beautiful, nevermind shooting a beautiful girl with little clothing on.

OK, but what if I got a shot of a scantily clad puppy <i>at sunset</i>, holding a flower in its mouth? Isn't that like some sort of ratings trifecta? I'm going to work on that, and see if I can get a waterfall and a war protest in the background, too. That will be freakin' <i>bulletproof</i>, man.

I think you should visit some galleries here such as Marc Adamus' and David Clapp's, then you tell me that sunsets are cheap tricks...Sunsets and sunrises just happen to give you dramatic lighting which can turn a good landscape into a great one...taking a good landscape photo at sunset is not easy feat...