What lens is on your camera most, or which is your favorite lens, and why?

jami_lee_tatro

On EOS 3, 28-105/2.8 Tamron is used the most. 85/1.2 L is the favorite but rarely used.

On D30, 35-135/3.5-4.5 (old version, metal mount and pre-USM) used most. 85/1.2L is also the favorite and gets used slightly more than on film bodies.

50-200/3.5-4.5 L is another favorite on any EOS body...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when I started out at the acadamy we were allowed only to use the standard lens (50 mm or 80/90 for medium-format) and print the full negative. We had to do that for two years. It taught me to compose my photo's very carefully which meant I developed a new way of looking at things which I never lost since. I think because of that I learned to make much better photo's. Nowadays I have a lot of lenses but I still use the standard ones the most because really there is hardly a subject that you can't photograph perfectly. Zoom lenses tend to make you less carefull and as a general rule ther are of a lesser quality or you have to be prepared to invest a great deal of money.

Well, my (lovely) girlfriend surprised me with the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM for Christmas. However, if it were not for that lens, it would definitely be the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. That's on a 20D. On a 1D Mark II, it might be the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, only because of the extra focal length range. I don't buy any lenses slower than f/2.8 any more. The flexibility that f/2.8 (or faster) affords is just irreplaceable, IMO.

I own four Canon EF lenses and my favorite is whatever lens is on the camera (I own three SLRs). I've not had to compromise at all on the quality of the four lenses so no regrets ever (except when hiking or mtn biking and the heavier lens always reminding me along with the force of gravity).

Like kids, I do not see how you can pick one single favorite lens, unless its siblings in your kit are slow and cheap, only then can the brilliant fave stand out.

When they are on the shelf at home - on one of them is the 17-70 Sigma; on another is the 10-20 and on the other is the 85/1.8. On the occasions when I take 2 on a walk-about, it is 17-70 on an XTi and 70-200 on 40D; when I take 3 on a walk-about, with wife taking one of them, the other XTi gets the 10-20.