40D worth $500 more than 30D

biomed

If I had the choice, I'd even choose the 20D for still less money used if I had to go with a pre-40D. The brighter viewfinder, dust reduction, interchangeable screens all justify spending more for the 40D IMHO. The 30D is a superb camera, but it is not a major upgrade like the 40D.

I don't think so. Bells and whistles to me. I have a 30D and checked out the 40D so I'd have a 2nd/bacup. Decided on another 30D. I don't like the new menues layout.

When I have to some day replace both my 30D's I'll haver to get the 45D or whatever is around. But for now I see no huge advantage in 40D just convenciences that I don't need.

You can buy a decent lens or flash or fiber tripod with $500.

And beyond the starters. . .eh.

20D *new* is probably not an option (can you find any?); but the choices between 30D, 40D, XTi or XSi are rather interesting.

First, if you actually "add to cart", the B&H price on the 40D is $1149 (consistent with other retailers); so the actually price premium on the 40D is only $350; not $500.

Second, the XTi which has a newer sensor than the 30D is $280 cheaper than 30D blowout price. The XSi, which has a newer sensor the 40D (with the same DIGIC III and 14bit raw) will probably be at the same price level as the 30D. . . maybe less.

So in terms of image quality -> these cameras (ranging from 8mp to 12mp) probably have a notable range. I suspect the biggest impact (for landscape) will be improved shadow enabled by the Digic III and 14bit RAW. That may be worth something that may make you shy away from the 30D and XTi.

Going from 8 to 10mp is not much. Going from 10 to 12mp is not much. But going from 8 to 12mp. . .now we are starting to talk about more resolution.

Third: A primary difference between the Rebels and the X0D's will be shot-to-shot speed. Which is not a factor in landscape or Macro shooting.

Fourth: Somebody remind me again what is improved in the 40D AF? (I forget). Personally, I suspect that we have long reached diminishing returns in AF performance of the lower end Canons. How many people use something *other* than the central AF point for the majority of shooting? How many people actually use F2.8 lenses that can take advantage of high precision mode? I personally have a bunch of fastish primes. . but all my zooms are at best F4.0.

Fifth: And last we have the nebulous "form factor". Some like the X0D heft. Others like the more compact rebels. That is a personal thing.

I would suggest you look long and hard at the Rebels. For my money, I would get the 40D -> But my main hobby is boating, where $500 is practically nothing :)

The answer seems to be subjective to me. If you handle it and like it, then yes it is worth it. True, the 40D is a nice camera and I love mine. But I also love my OM-1. It's about the finished piece of art that we, as photographers, create vs. the gadget lover that many of us are as well. Me? I am both but in a discerning way.

Not to me. I bought a second 30D instead, just shortly after the 40D was first introduced.

The 40D has some really nice features and is a decent upgrade, but since I use my cameras for work I really cannot go out on a limb with a new model that's not proven itself thoroughly yet. This was the biggest factor in my decision.

Today I would be comfortable buying a 40D, but am still not in any real rush to swap out my 30Ds for a pair of 40Ds.

To me the improvements in viewfinder, AF, 14bit and a few other features are the most attractive on the 40D.

But there are still some areas where it falls short of my "ideal" crop sensor camera.

For example, I really don't want an anemic built-in flash, would much rather see a 1.6X camera that has an even better viewfinder and better weather sealing, both of which leaving out the flash might help accomplish.

I also don't need a print button, would like to have a mirror lockup button. And I'd prefer 12MP. I'd like to have a higher resolution, articulated LCD. Could care less about dust removal tech. I'm not sure I'd use Live View, but it might come in handy. Oh, and I'd really like to have dual CF slots, with the ability to configure file storage various ways, including RAW to one, JPEGs to the other.

Probably could think of more if I spent some time at it.

I think the 40D is worth the price too, but others value their money more and their cameras less, so it is an individual choice.

The 40D's AF is considerably better than the 20D/30D. The cross type side sensors are better, as is the double cross of the center, and it is faster to lock on and/or track moving targets. It may not be 1D2 fast, but it is definitely better than before.

I also find more use for live view than I thought I would. And the viewfinder & LCD improvements are nice. I don't need 6.5 fps, so I turn it down to 3 fps, which I couldn't do with the 20D. I prefer the menu layout of the 40D better, especially with the "My Menu" feature and C1-C3 options. Also, the highlight tone priority is useful to me.

It's just a little better in a lot of ways. Easily worth $500 extra to me.

It depends on what you want to spend, how you shoot, and how you judge your images. If you're a bad photographer, the camera won't matter all that much, and if you're a good photographer, the camera won't matter all that much. It all comes down to the conveniences and features that you want while shooting. I would still buy two 10Ds and some lenses before buying a 40D, as I think that would give me a better arsenal to make the pix that I want to make than a 40D alone.

Keith

Someone, "as far as IQ goes there's very little difference between 30d and 40d. "

How can you possibly say this when in another post you make some crazy slam at the XTi IQ?

The 30D and the XTi are essentially exactly equal when it comes to IQ. How can you not know this yet pretend you know anything? LOL!

40D's IQ, logically, should be a slight improvement over the 30D, and certainly most noticeable in larger prints. Extra MPs are always nice to have when printing larger than 100 sqr. inches.

"Seems to me that those with the 40D think it's worth the money; those with the 20/30D are less inclined to agree."

I am someone who does not own a 40D, but has used one for approx. 1,500 pix. I can't see why anyone would pay $1,000 more than a 10D for one of them, or $500 more than a 30D, unless they really needed the extra print size.

Keith

The prime reason I changed from a 20D to a 40D was improved AF. For me, that alone was worth the cost. The 10D I had before didn't make the cut at all for what I do. It had nothing to do with larger image size or other features. But now that I have it, all those other niceties are much appreciated. It just comes down to requirements for specific shooting styles and personal decisions.