Street photography and fine arts, I need to find some spot in between.

autismkid

Eugene,

> One, how are you, then, saying above you're not sure SP is the kind of photography you

want to do? -- SP is as full of stale air as film noir.

Well, i guess that's where it shows my naiveness in photography.

> Two, a composition and an allusion to simple life with an exclusion of contemporary

elements (what you see in many of HCB's photos) does not a good photo make.

I have to disagree. There really isn't a single clear definition of good photo. You can argue

the same from opposite side. Why can't a photo be considered good just because it is

visually pleasing. Of course you can say, then why don't you just go shoot landscape. Well,

the difference is that, in some of HCB's work, such visual harmony is captured in our daily

environment. If we go to the other extreme, a journalism style photo that contains plenty

contemporary social context, but not any aesthetic merit, is hardly a good photo either. It

just happens to be at the right place at the right time. And that's why I can't appreciate

some of HCB's work.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and remember Balaji? Geez, talk about putting stellar work up on a consistent basis. Someone said further up here that if HCB was shooting today, he'd be mediocre (or something to that effect. Especially around Balaji and some of the other regulars here), and I agree, always have done, never got the attraction myself.

Second, his only recent accomplishment (other than group shows, which are irrelevant in

most gallerists' view) is a show in <a href="http://hobokenalmanac.com/">Hoboken

Almanac Gallery</a>, which is really not that great of a gallery judging from its website.

Third, having images in a library/local photography museum collection really doesn't mean

much.

"Many talented photographers grace this forum."

indeed. Robert, not to fret mate, you're one of the "some of the other regulars here" in my books. It's a treat having your older scanned film material ("American Bank") posted here, and glimpsing into an age & era & environment I'm not familiar with.

great cv, Orville. I'm embarrassed i haven't ventured that far and seen it before.

Eugene, why don't you comment on his photos. Rather than buttons, and your opinions of

his accomplishments. Your comments and criticism suggest an air superiority - unfortunately

it's not in concert with what I see on your site.

You really are coming off as a very bitter person.

www.citysnaps.net