LaCie Rugged "All-Terrain Hard Disk": Anyone here with experience, positive or negative?

Ellis, i have one 160 gig triple interface; USB2, firewire 400 & 800.

use the power of my laptop, fast transfert, look good, and pretty secure. Like i said earlier i dont play baseball with it i do backup while on the road..so i cant say if it more robust than any other portable drive, but its small and light. i paid 220$CAN for it last week.

I have been using a Formac Disk mini (120GB) for about a year and although I don't try and

abuse it, it survives the normal rigours of a photographers daily life. They are available for a

very good price in the UK. I did look at the more rugged looking exterior of the LaCie drive

but couldn't fimd one in time for a critical job. These drives combined with a small (40gb)

card reading drive - SmartDisk is the one I use - make for a speedy work flow. I wonder if

the rubber makes any difference if it treated reasonably well? Regards to all.

Ellis, it seems this is the preferred portable hard drive for photographers in the Houston area. The case is well sealed against moisture and dust. They have pretty good transfer speeds (very quantitative answer there) and the ability to choose USB/firewire on the go is great when you've got a CF reader or tethered camera hooked up as well. They fit well in <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Small-Drive-Protection-External-HardDrives/dp/B0013JLZQK/ref=sr_1_3/102-0404123-6537751?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1202505889&sr=8-3" target="

_Blank">this case</a> which adds extra shock protection and carries cables well. I would say go for it.

I got one because it cost only a bit more than the others. Mostly I liked it because it was orange, so if it's on my desk I know right away that it isn't where it belongs. (In a media safe or at a friend's house.)

Indeed it didn't fail even once! But, then, neither did the others.

The soft covering does seem like a good idea.

I have several LaCie hard drives. I think about 12 at last count. They range from 80GB to 2 Terrabytes.

I use them in my business (CPA firm) and as backup for my photo stuff.

One of the large drives (2 TB) has shown some problems, but they appear to be software related, not hardware related.

For my photo backup, I use two drives, and copy photos to both drives so if one quits, I still have the other one.

I have learned the hard way that it is much cheaper to buy two drives and back things up than have to pay a data recovery service to recover data from a drive that has quit. An extra drive is less than $200, but it cost me $1500 to get the data back from a 14GB drive a few years ago.

The lesson is - do not trust ANY data to a single drive.