An ethical question - Should I go after a couple I already helped booked for another company

heather_claypool

I scratching my head trying work out what relevance the used lens post by William has to this scenario.

Without getting too whipped up about it I think contacting this person with a view to poaching their business at this late stage wouldnt really be in the spirit that we hopefully share as photographers participating in groups such as this. I am not particularly religious but agree it would be bad karma. If for whatever reason she changes her mind and decides to go with another photographer then that it her decision. After all its her wedding and she needs to be happy with her photographer.

I was put in this same situation and I was 100% sure that I would not have been caught by

the other company. It wasn't worth it because it was only one job and most importantly I

didn't want to mess up reputation. In this business if you do anything remotely shady people

will know and you'll lose the respect from clients and photographers. Overall, don't mess up

you reputation over one job.

>>> I scratching my head trying work out what relevance the used lens post by William has to this scenario. <<< (JS)

Ah an explanation is required:

I WAS seriously stunned by this thread, mainly by some of the comments NOT taking a firm stand and simply answering it as a definitive NO such behaviour would be unacceptable.

IMO sometimes we are too touchy feely here, but that is my opinion only, and not really a comment for debate.

And I too did NOT wish to whip up a bundle of S&*t over any comment I made.

I am sure you (Jason Smith) understand the `let it go through to the (wicket)keeper` comment. We shall let our overseas colleagues work it out :)

My reference to stating that I would buy a second hand lens from David Schilling was because of his stance in the thread, which seemed to me was indicating the answer to the question was so obvious, that the question itself should never have been posed.

No offence intended to Ms Claypool, I just cannot word the gist of the concept any better.

And anyway in that regard, it appears to me that Ms Calypool was not actually asking a question, but rather seeking re assurance that resisting this temptation was indeed the best course of action for her.

And, it also seems to me that there have been comments edited out and that Ms Claypool has misinterpreted some of David Schilling`s comments . . .

But all that aside . . .

In the thread about buying used lenses I linked to above, note that I simply stated:

`I only have [bought](sp) used lenses (and bodies) if I can hold them and test them first. WW`

Then I stated here that I would confident buying a used lens, sight unseen, from David, just on his say so:

It was simply my way of saying I believed that David too, was as stunned as I, by the course the thread was running, and also he too, knows that beyond good business decision and ethics, (as he mentioned) there is indeed: integrity.

OK, this is high ground moral stuff, but important enough for me to want to note and articulate and upon which to take a firm stand: but NOT to make any comment which might be deleted or cause a storm over.

It is my opinion that David and I were on exactly the same wavelength from the very beginning but his commentary (and advice) was in some part grossly misunderstood.

I just wanted to extend a comment of understanding and support to him: tangential though it might have been.

I trust that explains my `used lens` reference adequately.

Regards, and Adam Gilchrist will certainly be missed.

WW