structure) at Epcot.

One thing they are throwing out as junk (it seems that Disney often throws out

more in "junk" in a day than most of us make in a year) are a dozen or so

Vivitar 283 flash units.

I saw the pile of 3.1 MP Kodak Easy Share cameras lying next to the pile of

Yamaha Speakers (all of which will never actually make it to the inside of a

dumpster but will be snagged by fabricators and contractors like me) lying next

to a pile of Vivitar 283 flash units. I grabbed a flash unit and wondered if it

would work with my K10D or if I am at risk of frying something.

I Googled the two but know nothing of flash photography.

My first question is will the Vivitar 283 get along fine on top of my K10D?

Also, I can probably snag a few more of these flashes tomorrow. Even if they do

not work directly on the K10D, can I use them as "slave" flashes mounted on

tripods?

Finally, if the answers to both or either of the above questions is yes, what

books/internet sites do you recommend to help me learn flash photography and

the use of this specific equipment? I am certainly not a flash photographer but

intended to get a Pentax flash for my K10D anyway because I appreciate that no

one has released the "see in the dark" sensor or lens yet. Is this a great

windfall?

Thanks for your time,

~Morgan

To be quick: Yes, you can use them, so snag as many as you can and send a couple my way. HOWEVER: I wouldn't attach them to the K10D without checking their voltage. You can definitely buy remote triggers and use them off-camera without any problems.

Off the top of my head I think they are OK to use if the voltage is less than 10V, but be sure to check up on this! I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Wrong on the voltage, that is; nobody will tell you NOT to avail yourself of some free flashes! :-)

YES - it is an autothyristor flash. As far as what settings to use on the K10 (aperture @

what ISO), Matt's going to find the data and post it in a few minutes.

To see if it will fry your K10, find an electrical contractor w/ a volt meter. Put fresh

batteries in it, turn it on, and measure the voltage between the center pin of the shoe and

one of the contacts on the side of the shoe (either side is fine. that's ground). If it is LESS

than 30v..... HAVE FUN WITH IT.

Feel free to send a couple our way too! ;-D Having spare flashes around to slave is

always good. No such thing as bad free stuff, really. Heck, if they work ebay em!

<a

href="http://www.theothermartintaylor.com/moveabletype/archives/cameras/000156.ht

ml" target="new">Here's some more info...</a><p>

Looks like you should be good to go. There is a chart on the side of the flash where you

turn it to your current ISO setting. Use the f/stop that is in the same color band as the

color that shows on the side of the thyristor housing. (Shutter speed needs to be 180 or

slower). <p>

You can mail mine to:<p>

Matt McManamey - W7-4<br>

%Cessna Aircraft Company<br>

One Cessna Blvd

Wichita, KS 67215

Gee guys. Thanks. I had no idea I had so many friends on Photo.Net until I posted I was getting some free gear. Addresses and everything!

Seriously, thank you for the recommendations.

The potential voltage from the link Matthew sent looks scary but, until I read Dave Richhart's post, I had never heard of a Wein Voltage Regulator. That looks perfect.

Also, Strobist looks awesome. I'll start reading the Flash 101 section. It seems very layman-friendly and well written.

Don't know how many I would actually get. The way it usually works with stuff like that is it all goes back to the shop and, if the company does not want them, then they are divided up by whatever staff members want them. The Yamaha speakers will be fought over and the Easy Shares will also go quick. No idea about the flashes but, one way or another, I suspect E Bay will be saturated with these models shortly.

I actually just bought a few 283s for my strobe setup.

Of course since the sync voltage and my Elinchron Sky Ports is fairly low (50 volts) and I have seen a confirmed case of 283s frying the sky ports, my less expensive alternative to the pocket wizard (with 300 volt sync voltage max) is actually getting pretty expensive as I add the voltage regulator cables. $30 a pop x 4

However, it's still quite a bit cheaper than wizards.

I have a Vivitar 283 that I used with my film cameras. I measured the trigger voltage using a digital volt-ohm meter. It came in at about 128 volts.

I had prevsiously sent an email to Pentax, asking them what the maximum safe voltage is and their reply was 25 volts.

So the 283 (my copy at least) is out for the K10D.

I have heard that, during its production life, the 283 was made in various places, including Japan and China. Furthermore, I've heard that over the years, the voltage varied quite a bit, so check yours out. It MAY be safe, but I think, until proven safe, you should assume that it isn't.

Paul Noble

Morgan:

I have a K10D as well, it does work ok on AV or manual settings with the K10 D as it has it's own sensor and doesn't depend upon the camera.

As others have said, check the sync voltage on the flash. I have two 283's, one has about a 30 v trigger and the other is over 100 volts. I think it depends on where/when they were made as the flash itself has been produced for at least 25 years, I'm sure the first 283 I bought is at least that old. It is still a good flash as others have stated, snag as many as you can.

If you have any doubt, I would use a Wein safe sync, as has been suggested. They also work well with the Vari power module, and can be easily remote sync'd using cheap "peanut" type slaves.

Good luck.

LGH

Like Paul, my 283 puts out about 128 volts. Way too much to risk to be using it on the K10D.

To deal with the issue, I picked up some radio triggers off ebay. Works but I just need to be more diligent with setting the camera properly. I wish the K10D had a PC sync so that I could use one of the current pentax flashes and still use the radio triggers.

So, I'm confused. The Wein Voltage Regulator boasts that it can take up to 400 Volts and buffer them down to as low as six volts. Has anyone ever had problems with this device? Are there any Wein horror stories?

When I read about it on B&H, as well as other peoples posts, both here and elsewhere, it seemed like the Holy Grail of gadgets for old flash units getting along with your digital camera.

It seems like a good route but, at the same time, I would not want to experience customer service hell because it did not do what it was supposed to do and, suddenly, I'm down one $700 DSLR.

Andrew Ng... you can operate a radio trigger on top of the Wein safe sync and it has the voltage protected PC sync as well. You are able to operate several flashes triggered simultaneously. Morgan Lee... I know it sounds too good to be true, but I have been using that method for about a year on my *istD and no problem so far... I also worry about the excessive voltage, and I am curious about other's experience. Excessive voltage can be a cumulative problem. Perhaps we should start a thread on whether anyone has actually "fried" a digital camera with a flash?

I don't know about the electronic compatibility with your camera, but the Vivitar 283 were (are?) in production for decades for a good reason. The LA wedding photog is assisted in the early '90s used one with his Hasselblad. I use one with my Bronica RF 645 and it has never given me a bad flash shot as long as I follow the settings shown on the dial. Get as many as you can and share them ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

A number of people have suggested using a multimeter to test the output of the 283. I was wondering if someone could give more specific instructions on how to do that. I have access to a meter, but I do not have any idea what settings to use etc.

I did try an old 283 on my K10D a couple of times before I read the warnings of high voltage. So far I have had no problems, but I want to be sure before I use it again.

Dale