really just to finance more gear :). In any case, I've been thinking I'll keep

it simple and go with "Dave Glick Photography" or "David Glick Photography" for

a trade name, website, business cards, etc. The problem is that there is

already an established local photographer named Dave Glick who uses "Dave Glick

Photography" has his business name (I discovered this while hunting down web

domains). I like the idea of using my name (I've only got the one), but I worry

that I might be confused with the other photographer, both by people looking

for him, and by customers I meet at shows looking for me. Any suggestions as to

what I should/could do (short of changing my name - I rather like it)?

I ran into this problem with my unusual name of scott richards. Sigh. The person who actually helped me the most in choosing a business name was my accountant. I asked him to help me set up a sole proprietorship and with his access to registered ny state business names we settled on scott richards studios. If you know someone who has access to your states registered business names this could help you decide on a name by seeing whats available.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone. I'm not very fond of "DG Photography," but "D. Glick Photography" has a certain ring to it. I was having a problem deciding between Dave and David, so with the initial I don't have to think about that either. And as a bonus, dglick.com was available. So - thanks again!

It's the other guy's name too, and he was there first, like it or not.

I can't see any advantage to you in using a similar name. On the other hand, avoid cutesy names like a plague. Something that sounds business-like will serve you better in the long run.

What about a name suggesting the kind of photography you do rather than using initials or names?

"It's the other guy's name too, and he was there first, like it or not." - yeah, I thought about this for a while. I didn't want to infringe or take away from this other well established photographer. But, the same argument could be used in reverse. Even though he was shooting before I was, and has made a good reputation, it's still my name too. Since I'm planning on doing this more as a hobby then a huge stock or events business, I really wanted the name I choose to be personal - I don't even really like the idea of a "business name" for something like this. You don't see artists from other mediums going around and using trade names very often - why should I, especially if my focus is on selling my nature and other artistic photography (and not, say, on photography-for-hire services). But given that I feel I need a website and something to put on cards and brochures that identifies me as a photographer, I figure I'll try and be polite and chose something at least a little different.

You state that its just a "side job" to pick up a few bucks, yet you feel it necessary to use your name and have the possible legal hassle of getting a lawyer because you're using a similar name.

Just go with the initials and your done. Depending on your state, probably the only thing you need to is go down to the county clerks office to register your name and apply for a sales tax license.

Its your business. Do as you wish. For a side venture it seems like your trying to make more work for yourself thens necessary.

"There Can Only Be One."

Damn I never thought I get to use that one. The other possibility is use your two initials and your last

name or just your initials. For your website list out the different name options and started see what works

on GoDaddy.com .

For Your business cards mailers and letterhead you can always play up your name.

I ran into similar issue with blog site. I have a domain and website called http://www.FullMetalPhotographer.com and I found out there is a guy on flicker going by the name

FullMetalPhographer.

Well good luck.

Ralph Berrett

"You could be known as "the photographer formerly known as David Glick"." - Who needs a name! Anybody got a cool idea for a symbol?

Seriously, thanks a ton for all the discussion everyone. It's been extremely helpful. Perhaps the best advice was not to worry too much...

Funny - I have the same problem, except I am building up to go full time (at some point, when it feels right). There's an established photographer in England with my exact name, so were I to simply use my name it would cause some confusion.

(Confusion, but doubtful any serious conflicts, not like the trouble I've been through with band names - bands can be rather litigious....)

I think the best thing to do is find a happy medium between a name you can honestly live with, and something that won't cause undue conflict. I think I have a little extra edge in that I specialize in things that this other guy does not - so if our names were to be overheard by others, context would be key.

I would be inclined to at least get my last name in the title. You never know where this will lead for you and you never know what will happen to the other guy (hint hint Tony Soprano).

I would certainly go after any pertaining domains and have them routed to your main business domain too. DavidGlick.biz, DavidGlickPhoto.net - all leading to DGlick.com or whatever.

All I meant was that I don't think that creating confusion is really to your benefit.

In my home town there was a guy named Howard Johnson who went into the motel business. Guess what - he actually won the right to call his motel the Howard Johnson, but I think most people who were tricked into staying there weren't too happy about it.