Sigma DP-1

This camera is going to sink or swim primarily on the basis of that 28mm equiv. f4 they have stuck to it. Sigma seems to have the broadest range of lens quality I've seen in a manufacturer, from absolute junk to lenses that rival the finest by Canon and Nikon. Here's hoping the DP1's lens is of the latter classification. I personally would have rather seen a 40mm equiv lens with available high quality lens adapters, but that's just me. I prefer zooms on compacts overall, but with an APS-C sensor a prime is obviously the best way to keep the bulk down. Also, has anyone else noticed that the thing has standard zoom rocker switches? Do they really expect this camera's target audience to get a lot of use out of digital zoom? Maybe I'm wrong and it's primarily for manual focus or something... Regardless, I'll be interested in seeing if this device makes me question my decision to get a G9.

[[Also, has anyone else noticed that the thing has standard zoom rocker switches?]]

The icons below the rockers indicate to me that these are for image review/playback. Zooming in for details or zooming out to look at groups of photos.

The focus button is located elsewhere (with the grouping of 4 buttons).

>> I know that I'm wearing my "nitpicker's cap", but does this camera really need a digital zoom or are the T/W buttons there for a future lens that we don't know about yet?

<blockquote>

<b>Recording Movies</b><br>

It is possible to record 30fps movies with QVGA (320 x 240). The digital zoom function can be used during movie shooting. A 1GB memory card (not supplied) allows approximately 30 minutes of movie recording.

</blockquote>

28 is good. Can use same viewfinder as in GRD. More choice is always good. The highest ISO is only 800 and the lens in F/4, not very good at low light. This is landscape camera for travelling light. 28 is good for that. I think I will get one, provided the price is not much higher than Ricoh GRD. Nowadays a small DSLR can be had for a pittance so the price has to be right.

I heard it was list price just under $1k. Max iso 800 at least they added a hot shoe since with an F4 lens you will need a flash in dark interiors. On the lens being 28mm, if you want a vacation lens and a carry around lens this is fine. They will likely have tele and WA adapters to go along with it at some point and you will get what you want. Personally I think the 4/3 system sensor for a compact camera would have offered Sigma some design advantages that would have made it easier to get the size lens with higher speed we want and come away with a better all around compact camera.

>I heard it was list price just under $1k. Max iso 800 at least they added a hot shoe since with an F4 lens you will need a flash in dark interiors.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a compact camera if you have to put a flash on it, don't you think?

The Canon XSi, Nikon D60 etc represent far better buys. Sigma can hardly sell on cache/prestige either, unlike Leica.

<p>The image tour over at photoblog also shows Sigma's available add on flash unit <a href="http://www.photographyblog.com/images/pma_2008/sigma/sigma_pma_2008_booth_tour_18.html" target="_blank" class="slink">- "image link" - </a></p>

<p>I knew there was a reason to keep my old Nikon SB30 around.   With the Sigma DP-1, one could use this older Speedlight set to its lowest f/2.8 output and set the DP-1 to its A priority mode for an f/4 exposure to achieve a fairly balanced flash relative to the ambient lighting in the room.</p>

<p>If the DP1 is improved to a DP2, please add the right hand grip of that we see on the Ricoh GRD2.   On the Ricoh the grip makes room for a second control wheel, which is placed conveniently in front of the shutter release. </p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

As far as I can remember, the Sigma DP-1 was announced at Photokina in September 2006 and due to be released in February 2007. Then the body went through some changes, the most noticeable one the inclusion of a hot shoe on top, with the option to use an external viewfinder. It was then confirmed in March 2007 at the PMA show to be available in May the same year. We're now facing a similar scenario one year later.

In my opinion it is still a great concept in theory and one that caught my attention when I first read about it. But then again, time hasn't stood still since. One and a half years between announcing a product and putting it on the market is a long time. The Sigma should deliver outstanding image quality if it wants to justify the higher price vs. other compact digital cameras. Entry level DSLRs have become so good over the last 6 months that the DP-1 will have some fierce competence on that market segment too.

If it does prove to be successful, maybe we could see further developments, like a faster wide angle lens or a 35 or 40mm version. Just like the Nikon 28 TI and 35 TI film cameras.

Olympus could do something similar with the 4/3 sensor. A 20mm 2.8 with the E410 sensor in a compact body could be a real winner for Olympus. I'm thinking digital Canonet. Even a Canon G9 with a slightly wide normal fixed F2 lens could be good. It seem like photographers would like a high quality fixed lens compact to use as a carry around camera when they don't want to carry a DSLR. I just hope at least one company gives us what we want and soon. Leica could do a digtal CM with a 4/3 sensor but it would be expensive. Canon and Nikon could do the same with the APS size sensors if they could be bothered. A Nikon D80 with a 28mm 2.8 is just a bit too big same for the Canon EOS 400D with a 28mm 2.8. If olympus had some small primes for the E410 they would almost be there.

• 4 months later...

Andrew Yue wrote:

"If the DP1 is improved to a DP2, please add the right hand grip of that we see on the Ricoh GRD2. On the Ricoh the grip makes room for a second control wheel, which is placed conveniently in front of the shutter release"

Maybe not the GRD2 grip, but this might be the ticket: http://kleptography.com/rf/

Regards

Richard