Hasselblad 500cm Film Speed

alan_higgins

Hi there again

I signed up a few days ago and recieved some really good advice on the

difference between film and digital.

I no have another question which I need some help on and you will probably

think I am nuts.

I bought my 500cm a week ago and the whole med format is completely new to me.

With normal SLR's you are supposed to change film speed with different films

i.e. 100 - 400

What about the hasselblad. It just occurred to me that there was nothing on

the camera to do this. Please advise

Many thanks

Alan

Buy an incident light meter. They have a little white dome over the sensor. Place it where your subject is, pointed at where the camera will be. Sekonic makes a simple one less than 100 USD. There are probably many used ones, but they might be old. Unless I knew a used one was accurate or not very old, I would buy a new one. They can get a little expensive if you also want the ability to measure flash output.

Or, just use the sunny 16 rule. The calculator for that is already in your head!! So no additional cost for the sunny 16 light meter!

But you do tell the meter some film speed to use, don't you? ;-)<br><br>The sunny 16 rule is an approximation, that may work fine in one particular situation. To know whether it applies or not may not be very hard, but still. And what to do when the sun is not out?<br>Get a good (Gossen, Sekonic, Minolta - any will do: these manufacturers do not make bad ones) meter! You'll need one!

Alan, I got a used Hasselblad several months ago. It's all mechanical and it does not use any

batteries. You do need a hand held light meter, but you will learn much about exposure and

lighting when you have to set the camera adjustments yourself. Gossen and Sekonic make

good meters and used ones can be good deals. If you can afford a flash meter, that's better

yet. Good luck and I hope you enjoy a Hasselblad as much as I have.

Only Hasselblad 202 FA, 203 FE, 205 Tcc and 205 FCC have internal light meter. For other models you need an external light meter or a prism with light meter in it (not coupled with the shutter). For your 500CM you can buy the meter knob that replace the advancing knob. It is quite accurate, I have used it wiht chrome film untill I bought a 203 FE. Ther is one fo sale on ebay at:

http://cgi.ebay.it/HASSELBLAD-ESPOSIMETRO-KNOB-EXPOSURE-54011-AVANZAMENTO_W0QQitemZ270209260749QQihZ017QQcategoryZ30073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is justo to see it, I suppose you can buy used (no longer made) in your country too.

I bought a knob meter when I bought my Hasselblad a couple of years ago from David

Odess. It works fine, I was told at the photo lab where I get film processed that my photos

are "perfectly exposed."

I would also recommend you buy Wildi's "Hasselblad Manual". The third edition covers the

old 500 C/Ms in detail. I haven't seen later editions.