Why should one upgrade from a 400D to a 40D?

martin_aspeli

[[You don't realize how useful it is until you go backwards from something else to a 400D. Having to press the button multiple times every time you want to switch ISO is a P.I.T.A.]]

I went from an Elan 7 to a Rebel XT and did not have problems adjusting to the lack of a wheel on the back. I guess the ISO button issue is more dependent on how often you feel the need to change ISO. I usually set it for the conditions I'm in and forget about it. But I certainly could imagine situations where one would might want to change ISO more often.

Look, without question the ergonomics of the XOD are superior to the rebel. That is obvious when you pick up the camera.

The only issue here is that the the X0D is traditionally 50% higher in cost than the dRebels. You KNOW the markup has got to be tremondously higher in those cameras.

But in terms of the IMAGE (the image is the thing, afterall); the cameras are basically identical. Oh sure. . .today the 40D may be better than the 400D. . . .but that is more a function of the fact that the 40D is newer.

The 450D (which is newer still) has all the fancy stuff of the 40D (14bit A/D; Digic III), but has a newer (presumably better) sensor.

Yeah, the X0D's are better. The extra features are definately nice. That is obvious. The only question is how much are you willing to spend for those creature comforts? Currently, the 400D is about $530; while the 40D is about $1150 in the US. The choice is yours.

I personally would not upgrade. The feature differences between the 350D, 400D and 450D are not enough to make me want to upgrade to another amateur camera. The differences between the 20D/30D/40D are again minimal and would not make me want to upgrade to another budget professional camera. The differences between the 1D series would not make me want to change 1D models either.

The differences between the amateur/budget professional/5D (yep - in its own class)/1D are greater though.

Would I upgrade from a 350D to a 40D? I personally would not unless I really needed some feature found on the 40D that either I could not obtain from the 350D or found difficult to operate under stress on the 350D. I - for example - bought a 30D because I needed to be able to control shutter and aperture independently and I could not do this on the 350D. Of course, I did make an error - I should instead of going cheap and getting the 30D have bought the 5D. That was my big blunder. I usually buy something that'll just about do the job rather than something really good. I can't help it - I'm just a tight wallet!

[[Well, changing ISO is only one example. How about scrolling through the photos you just shot, during down time? How about EV compensation settings? :)]]

M. Barbu,

As I said, I had no problems adjusting to the lack of a wheel when I moved from the Elan 7 to the XT. I didn't pick up the XT and instantly become proficient at changing settings, but it did not take that long. I have no problems reviewing images or adjusting exposure compensation.

[[Look, without question the ergonomics of the XOD are superior to the rebel. That is obvious when you pick up the camera.]]

That's odd, Jim because "without question" the ergonomics of the 20D /were/ a problem for my wife (with whom I share our DSLR) which is why we went with the XT when we moved to digital. So, I would say that "without question" your generalization is not particularly useful.