Anyone shooting 14 bit NEF on their D3 or D300?

photo5

Well, I have many other things to overcome before worrying about 12 bit vs. 14 bit. However,

I did notice, and have read, that 14 bit on the D300 really slows the camera down. Well, the

max fps is 2.5 (I think) with 14 bit. Now, the D3 is different in that fps are not affected. I

assume that is because the D3 has dual processors, but have not been able to confirm that.

Bottom line for me is until my skills with the camera and pp improve, I doubt 14 bit will help

me.

Dave,

Very nice article and thank you for pointing me to it. I'm currently shooting in fine JPEG with very nice results with my D300. I'm just learning about post processing and only have iPhoto to work with now on a new iMac with Leopard. I've been reading a lot about Aperture which still doesn't support RAW conversion for the D300 and comparing it to Photoshop CS3. There is a lot to learn out there about shooting in RAW and I'd like to make a good choice when I finally get the software. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dick

Hi Dick,

While I do not have any experience or knowledge of Aperture, I've heard very good things about Adobe Lightroom. I've only briefly used the trial version, I use Photoshop CS3 and Nikon Capture NX for RAW conversions. I too shoot Fine JPG (and Normal JPG) most of the time with my D300. The quality is so good, that with a slight unsharp mask they are identical to converted NEF files from Capture NX.

Have you tried Capture NX? I got the free copy with my D300.

I suspect in most situations the value of 14 bits is dubious. The overall imaging chain appears (from

some data published recently) to be noise limited by the sensor, other than at ISO 100. So, unless

you're shooting in very cold climates (reducing the sensor's thermal kTB noise), quantizing to more

bits buys little. Indeed, one could digitize with a "perfect" (doesn't exist) 20 bit ADC and see no

advantage.

The sensor noise characteristics and ADC at 12 bits are well-matched. The benefit of 14 bits seems to

kick in around ISO 100 - makes sense, sensor noise is less.

In either case, when subsequently post-processed in a 16 bit space, there's extra room for bit growth

precision enabling better rounding when going back to 8 bits for printing.

www.citysnaps.net

Hm if I read this correctly the "12-bit shadows" and the "14-bit shadows" comparison shown in the above link suggest that there is less noise in the 14bit sampling process in the sensor, possibly a side effect of the slower sampling required for the higher bit resolution. Perhaps I am wrong but I get the impression that the better result of the 14bit example cannot be explained solely by the higher bit resolution.

Did anybody do a thorough analysis? The link seems a bit vague here. Does anybody have mathcad handy? A quick gaussian noise generation at 16bit and conversion to either 12bit or 14bit might show the theoretical expectation.

I found the follow-up article interesting, it can be read here: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/14-bit-raw-12-bit-part-two.html It corresponds to what I have seen, which is that it takes a lot of enlargement (300% or more) to see a difference in 14 bit and 12 bit files on my computer monitor. Nonetheless, if I'm shooting for quality I use 14 bit and if I'm shooting for speed I have no reservations shooting 12 bit.

I have D300. I don't use 14 bit. The frame rate reduction doesn't bother me. However the noticeable shutter lag does interfere with my shooting.

When I use a tripod (esp for landscapes), I usually use 14 bit.

I don't shoot with D3, so I cannot comment on that.

If more information, I would think that active D lighting would be better in 14 bit vs 12 bit. A comment in the articles on signal to noise ratio issues makes me wonder. Anyone know any facts on the matter? Shooting landscapes, slowing down the camera doesn't bother me. The theoretical increase in raw data is appealing.

>>> Regular D lighting is a post thing, but I belive active D lighting involves recording additional

data

I have a feeling, but have seen no evidence, that active D lighting can subtly adjust the gain of *each*

pixel independently, at capture time. Not in a closed-loop fashion - not enough time to to

collect/measure image data and write back millions of gain values.

But each pixel's amplifier could slightly reduce it's gain for luminous energy approaching full-scale

saturation. Stand-alone soft compression - like a log-amp's behavior for large signals.

www.citysnaps.net

• 1 month later...

I'm still debating between 12 and 14 bit - the article mentioned above does a great job of

explaining why you might want 14 bit. I guess we'll all have to figure out the trade off

between speed, size, and 12/14.

For those still shooting jpgs, though, consider shooting in raw format NOW. I kick myself

for the thousands of images that I shoot in jpg when I could have done raw. There is so

much more you can do with raw. Adobe Lightroom is the best piece of software I've come

across in a long, long, long time. Lightroom helps me to become the photographer I've

always pretended to be...

:)