Is the 135 f2 L worth it?

alan_green4

"not that popular on either 1.6 or ff bodies" What? 135mm was a standard focal length on 35mm film bodies time out of mind, and was always regarded as the preferred focal length for head-and-shoulders portraiture.

Actually the 135/2 is remarkably versatile for a prime lens. It works well enough on the Extender 1.4x that you don't also need the 200/2.8. And it makes a remarkably good large-butterfly lens on an EF25 tube, even permitting use of the macro flashes using the Macrolite Adapter 72C.

I suppose it depends upon how you define "versatile".

If it means "I never have to change my SLR's lens" to you, then no perhaps it's not "versatile".

In some sense, almost every prime lens might be called a "specialty" lens.

The 135/2 is also a fairly long lens to hand hold without IS on the crop sensor bodies. Certainly doable, but IMHO, IS would be a very nice addition to this lens.

I don't have the 135/2, but if I had a FF camera, I would most certainly want it. Especially after hearing/reading all the rave reviews!

It is a bargain at ~$850 compared to a Nikkor at $950, Minolta at $1200 (for a trick up f2.8) or $1350 for a Sony. A Pentax PKA f1.8 and Zeiss Contax will cost you ~$1500? That is if you can win one and a Lotto (Winning Lotto is easier). An Olympus and Leica version will be priceless as they don't even make one.

Extremely high quality. I agree that 135mm can be a perplexing focal length, but if you have a use for it -- portraits, indoor sports, whatever -- then this lens is sure to please.

You might even find that 135mmis useful to you in unexpected situations. I've used it for photographing flowers and landscapes, with great results. All depends on what you're after. But the lens itself... outstanding.

The 135 F2L is a fantastic lens. I use if your indoor low light shooting and outdoor shooting. It produces sharp contrasty images with excellent color. F2 is fast, and it is sharp wide open. The focus is fast and accurate. Add 25mm or 25+12mm extension tubes and it is excellent for flowers and other macro shots. An excellent lens for portraits and other photography.