scanned and converted to a digital archive. It has been proposed that one

family member pack the slides in her checked luggage on a commercial airline

flight for the trip.

If that is done, is there any risk that the slides could be damaged by

radiation from airport scanners or other sources, from possible temperature

extremes, changes in humidity or other environmental hazards or should it be

relatively safe to transport the slides in this manner? Any advice will be

appreciated.

I don't think radiation is a problem, but maybe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Bags do get lost. How many are you talking about? If not so huge a collection, perhaps registered mail would be the surest way of making certain it would get there intact.

Personally, I would not entrust an irreplaceable family heirloom to checked baggage. Is it too large a collection to put in a wheeled bag that could carried on the plane? Even if it's too many slides to fit in one carry-on, it will take awhile to scan them, split them up. They don't all have to make the trip at once.

I agree with the comments above that checked baggage is not a safe way to transport a priceless collection. In particular, if there isn't a direct flight from your location in Minnesota to the destination in Florida, it increases the likelihood of lost luggage.

A shipper is a better way. If there are DHL offices at the source and destination, I have had better experiences with DHL than with FedEx and UPS. You can also ask DHL (or FedEx or UPS) about higher classes of service than two-day air. Tell them you have priceless art -- which is true -- and they can suggest ways to send it.

Checked baggage? Absolutely the worst way I can think of. Way to high a risk of loss, damage, or theft.

USPS Registered Mail. It does NOT get lost. It is under signature control the entire way, someone is always responsible for it. This is how one ships negotiable securities and other such highly liquid valuables.

However, the person in Florida must make sure to keep them OUT of the heat and humidity there, else fungus (mildew) is a real risk. It's everywhere in Florida, just waiting to eat things, and gelatin (what the image is in on film) is mighty tasty!

Also, you are scanning and BACKING THEM UP as a digital archive. DON'T THROW AWAY THE ORIGINALS! Just keep them cool and dry.

Keep multiple copies on different disk drives that are in service in different locations. Idle disk drives are known to freeze up. CD-R's and DVD-R's are ephemeral.

I did this about 5 years ago with Kodachrome slide my father shot in the 1950's. I had

him ship them to me in Florida via FedEx 2nd day. I'd not trust anything in checked

baggage. Luckily my father always stored these slides in Logan metal slide boxes which

provided an excellent environment for their storage. In fact I found that the same Logan

metal storage boxes are still available and purchased a large quantity for my collection.

I scanned them with the Nikon Coolscan 4000 that I had at the time, (now have a 9000)

with excellent results. The Coolscan has a setting specifically for Kodachrome. I scanned

the slides at the highest resolution (I think 4000dpi at the time). I also always make 2

backup DVDs of the raw scans as TIFF files on Delkin Archival Gold DVD-Rs.