20D Sensor Cleaning

jzq

Should I just take the camera in to a shop to get it cleaned? How much should I

expect to be charged for that? If anyone in LA reads this and knows of place,

please recommend something! I was thinking of Samy's Camera, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Judith

Lots of people clean their own sensor. If you need to do it frequently, it's going to get expensive taking it to a service center every time.

See for example http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/sensor_cleaning_ii.html

Of course if you're not very good at doing delicate mechanical operations, you might be better off letting someone else do it.

Canon have a major service center in Irvine, but they may well charge more than an independant repair shop. They may also do a better job of course.

I tried the wet sensor cleaning swabs from B&H. However it seems you just push the dust from one side to the other. I finally got acceptable results after a bunch of attempts. I was thinking about buying that arctic butterfly. The problem is the dust is statically attracted to the sensor. The bush gets charged up and the dust is attracted to it.

Make sure you use sensor clean mode and not mirror lock up mode.

You can't keep mailing the camera to Jamesburg for Canon factory service every time you have dust.

Circumstances dictate that I am in need of cleaning the sensor on my 20D somewhere in the neighbourhood of once a month.I would go broke sending it to Canon. I use a charged brush and if that leaves anything behind I use a sterile cotton swab and some 100% isopropyl. Just be certain to brush the sensor first to be sure you are not dragging any grit which could scratch the filter across it. As Bob says if you are not comfortable with delicate work by all means pay Canon to do the work.

Copperhill sells a relatively inexpensive wet cleaning kit. Rather than disposable swabs, it uses a flexible spatula and a supply of Pec Pads which you wrap around the paddle yourself. You apply a couple of drops of (supplied) Ecclipse fluid to the tip of the assembly. The first thing I'm going to run out of is the fluid, maybe worth picking up 2 bottles.

It comes with good instructions, which you can also read on the site.

Copper Hill is the way to go, get the kit with the brush, charge it and if it's just dust it will pull the dust off. The pec pads and Eclipse fluid work. I was terrified the first time. Lock the camera in a tripod if you have one, that way you have two free hands. One drop means one drop, you can always swipe it again. Like it says practice on a cd case, get the angle right and your on your way.