A question about 28mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8

daniel_kim7

I own both and stopped down there is little difference though the 2.0 does have slightly better contrast throughout the range.The 2.0 has floating elements so close up resolution is sharper.Like most FD primes not a huge difference but a noticeable one.The 2.0 is a lot easier to focus in low light and thus the focusing aids really snap with the laser screens.If you can afford it get the 2.0,especially in todays FD discount market.

I assume that you are comparing both New FD lenses. I have two 28/2.8 New FD lenses and they seem fine. I also have a 28/2 FD SSC and a 28/2.8 SC. Both are excellent but I agree that in low light the f/2 lens is easier to focus. In FD mount I also have both versions of the Vivitar 28/2 (Kino and Komine) and the 28/2 Kiron. If you need a faster 28 and don't want to spring for an original FD, they will do the job. The earlier Vivitar f/2 (22XXX...) often has oil on the aperture blades and needs service.

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I have 28mm f/2.8 and just bought f/2 that is on its way. The f/2.8 is in like new condition and luckily, I got it for $17 USD with shipping! However I spent $80 with shipping on the f/2 with the hood in like new condition. I thought it was an okay deal with the hood. If you have any other info that I should know, do not hesitate! Thanks! Daniel.

The only thing I can add here (since I have never owned a 28mm f2.0) is that for some reason these are much rarer then the other fast wides (24mm f2.0 and 35mm f2.0) and for some reason when I was buying and selling FD gear on eBay like crazy trying to build my system it seamed like every one I ran into was pretty beat up. And the feedback from the other guys at the time was that was their experience. Some guys theorized that the 28mm f2.0 sold well into the Pro ranks and as suck had a hard life. Yet few due to the high cost compared to the F2.8 versions that are next to the 50mm one of the most common of all FD lenses. It sold very poorly into the amateur market where they would have been better treated.

WHO knows it's all guess work by now LOL

I bought 6 of them and returned all six due to one major flaw.....all of them had fungus ! Either on the front element (back side) or in the middle elements. I finally got a seventh one that was clean and clear. Don't know if this was a manufacturing problem or what...but keep a close eye on fungus on these lenses.

Vladimir