Is this all that Canon is announcing?

tdigi

I dident even look at the 6000 dollar lenses. way out of my range. I was referring to the 55 -

250. I don't get the point of buying a really slow long zoom. Is it just for outdoors? If you

have to shoot at 1/250 at 5.6 what good is it?

oh and yet another rebel. I guess I was just expecting to see more.

[[i was referring to the 55 - 250]]

The 55-250 was announced months ago. And how did 1 lens become "some middle of the road lenses."

[[is it just for outdoors? ]]

It's for a price-point. Coupled with the 18-55 it makes a 18-250mm range with a Rebel series.

[[i guess I was just expecting to see more]]

Yet again, what were you planning on buying?

The 200 f2 and 800 f5.6 were announced 4-5 months ago as under development. I think the 55-250 was announced at the same time.

Regarding the 55-250 lens, it's a cheaper lens for regular consumers not pros. It's not for sports. It has IS so for a stationary subject there is nothing wrong with 1/250 at f5.6.

They also announced a bunch of new point and shoots.

As to what am I looking to buy. I was planning on the 17 - 55 2.8 and the 85 1.8 for my

40D.

I was hoping for something in that same range ( 17 - 55 ) in the L class so if I go up to

full frame I can use it. I know the 17-55 is supposed to be great but not for full frame.

Again just hoping for more this way we can have some new posts on which lens to purchase.

Seriously I just thought they would offer some new choices. Not just in the range I was

looking at but all over the board. maybe a new 50mm that is close to the build as the 85.

As to the market segment. technology does move on so while the lenses you mentioned are

nice maybe something in a longer range or faster to improve upon what currently exists.

I think Ross has captured the motivation for the post here:

If you are waiting/hoping for Canon to launch the 4D, 0.5D, 5-800/f1.0 lens, etc. it's frustrating when they don't!

Sadly, the life of the speculator will always be a frustrating one...

CANON- BOO!

No New 5D MK II: CANON- BOO!

No Update to the 28~70 2.8L to an IS USM: CANON- BOO!

No Update to the 50 f/1.4 & 28 f/1.8: CANON- BOO!

Do you think that somebody would of gotten their ass quickly in gear when Nikon announced their new D3 & D300 cameras? No

Do you think that somebody at Canon would of gotten their ass quickly in gear when

Pentax announced their new K20D? A 14.6MP D-SLR- NO!

CANON- BOO!

So does this mean that Canon is going to drop the 5D and then next Jan. 2009 we'll see a

1D MK IV. Perhaps a 16MP 1.3x CMOS chip with a Digic IV?

Ah dunno, Canon already a lot of lenses and bodies. Among those not too many of us need

more than a dozen or so lenses and a couple bodies. I don't feel like I'm aching for more

choices. Now if I was Pentax or Oly shooter a few more "middle of road" lenses would be a

lot more welcome. Canon has plenty...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

As regards lenses, it would have been very nice to see Canon do something about their wides. How about a small, top quality L 40/2 (like the new Voigtl䮤er). Or an 24/2 L, and a 21/2 L, again, emphasis on small - like the old Zuikos or perhaps in the Pentax Limited mould. Why must almost all the Canon lenses be so large?

Some of you technowhores crack me up, but it's really sad how much you have invested in what Canon does or does not produce. What have you been doing for the last 18 months with a 5D-or whatever, that you just had to have "upgraded?" Unfortunately, photography is one of those hobbies where you can now buy your status, you don't have to be a gifted athlete or musician after years of practice, you can plop down your credit card at B&H and buy your weigh to red ring nirvana. No one cares about your equipment except a few other photographers. Respectfully, Tom (King of All Photographers)

The only lens I'm really waiting for from Canon is an upgrade to the venerable 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM. The versatility of the lens is great, especially at it's price point, but I'd like to see something a bit better. A 200-400mm f/4.0 IS USM would be great - especially if they could do it for less than $5k.