Leica R system: are you kidding me?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Katherine, your post here is quite interesting can I make you an offer for the R6.2 plus Summicron , lets say $ 700.00?

Your valuation and a bid I am being charitable here.

One more thing it seems Leica R is just not for you selling the camera will save you from more extreme disappointment.

Cheers Manfred

Hmmm

Rather odd conclusions re R6 and 50 Summicron combo and the stark difference allegedly

seen as against the M6 body 35 is surprising.

Strange choice of film IMO slide film or perhaps something like 160s might have been

more appropriate.

I've worked with all the cameras you have mentioned (well the ones you can identify) The

135 L is with out a shadow of a doubt Canon's premier performing lens so there should be

surprises on "how nice these shots came out" and the 1N probably the best EOS camera

they made.

"Canon QL body with 50mm lens". Assume something like the FTb QL with FL 50? good

workhorse but nothing special and the mysterious old Nikkor same could be said for that.

Classic 35mm cameras wonderful image making tools. Shame on you, you should take

more interest.

"Is there some killer R body or killer R lens that I am missing?"

well yeah... I wouldn?t phrase it in a catch all competitive way like that but...

all but two lenses I can think of atm. But from the tone of your post you don't sound that

interested really? One couldn't compare with Leica R. Hard to imagine a more delightful set

up as an R6 with 50

Summicron.

Perhaps you might like to look up Doug Herr's shots where he makes do with the Leica R

system. I just recognise his name here.

So I guess the question you might like to ask yourself is why were your conclusions so out

of step with years of experience and knowledge.

Was the dioptre wheel for the VF eyepiece set up correctly?

You blithely dismiss the R system at your own loss and it is your loss no one else cares nor

should they. If you are halfway serious do your self a favour check that the camera is set

up correctly and learn to focus properly.

Whatever works for you personally... whatever helps you bring life to your pics.

Peace and good shooting

I think that you may want to consider re-doing your tests with your friend's equipment. Or maybe just re-test the low-scoring cameras.

This time, with the manual camera(s) use a handheld meter; mount all the cameras on a tripod, and use a cable release.

Please take the film to a reliable lab.

Then, evaluate the prints.

But possibly more important, as you test the cameras, test also for how each camera feels in your hands, how "intuitive" each one is for you, and how steady you think you can hold each one comfortably.

I think though that based on Leica's standards over all these years, either you got hold of a lemon, or it was mis-adjusted in its CLA, or you just picked it up on the wrong day (for you) and possibly made an error or two in using it. The closest I can afford to get to a Leica is cheap Russian imitations, and I love using those. (I also have a great Nikon, various medium format equipment, and lots of view camera equipment up through 8x10, just to let you know a little about who's talkin' at ya).

Anyway, good luck settling on a system that works well for you. The best system for you will be the one you take out and actually shoot with, and enjoy doing so, and like the results you get.

"Come to think of it, Katherine, do you realize the R6.2 is a manual exposure SLR, too? You need to set the shutter speed and aperture manually. There's no autoexposure on the R6 bodies."

"The R6 does not have DX film speed sensors. You have to set the ISO manually. Did you check the speed of the film and the camera ISO setting?"

Wow.....of course. I knew there must have been something. I thought the Leica R6.2 was a fully automatic point and shoot digital camera. No wonder I couldn't find the slot for my micro SD card. That explains the lack of an LCD on the back, too. Plus, I did think it was weird that the lens didn't move into focus by itself when I lightly touched the shutter button. On my 5D when I do that it autofocuses for me, so long as I have it in AF mode......You think maybe I just didn't have the R6.2 in AF mode? I didn't see that button....

Yes Leica fanboys, I am a giant idiot with no sense whatsoever who doesn't understand how to use a manual camera, let alone a manual Leica camera which is clearly reserved for Mensa members only. I stupidly except every camera I pick up to be fully automatic. I thought all the settings and buttons were just there for marketing purposes..... ISO setting? What's that??? If it's not automatic then I can't understand it. Please accept my sincere apologies for speaking negatively about a camera which I clearly had no idea how to operate. I'm sorry that you had to suffer through my stupidity.

"Just a friendly defense against the throngs of sexist man-jewelry toting Leicaphiles"

Oh really? In what way are my questions sexist, Thom? It seems pretty clear to me that the poster got the results because of lack of familiarity with the R6. Male, female, neuter, I don't care - the questions would be the same.

Exactly how would you begin to sort out the reasons for the stated results? Or maybe you would just throw out labels and name-calling.

Oh come now Mr. Shipman, you don't think that implying Katherine doesn't know the basic functions of a camera like ISO (and even how to focus for Chrissakes) isn't sexist? Something tells me that if Katherine's name was "Mike" or "Steve" she still would have received the same (as someone else put it) Leica defense corp. treatment but the obvious sexism of "are you sure you know how to focus a camera honey?" and "sweetie, you know this isn't an autofocus camera, right?" would have been left out.

Mr. Henderson, if you think my questions would be framed differently based on the name of the person, then I am truely insulted at your assumption. I don't know where you get the false statements you quote above, but I think you are practicing the kind of stereotyping you pretend to admonish.

There are all levels of skill on these forums, and even experienced photographers on picking up a fully manual SLR could forget one or two of the controls that have long been relegated to automation, and get poor results without realizing why. It has nothing to do with gender, and your presumption is ludicrous.

Do you have something constructive to address the poster's question, or are you just ammusing yourself with unmwarranted labeling?

The level of pride and arrogance that is on display here is nothing short of breathtaking. Some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I don't own a Leica, never have owned one, and after this display I don't think I ever will. If coming to this message board to talk about it is what I have to look forward to, anyway. Jesus H. Christ. GOODBYE.