Inexpensive Wireless Solution?

everett_cavazos

Anyone have an experience using a wireless usb hub for photo transmission. If

so, what were your thoughts/finding? I'm looking to it as an affordable

alternative to using the transmitter: my studio is small and I don't really see

myself going more than 30 feet from my PC.

DLink Wireless USB Hub: $84.99

WT-4a Wireless Transmitter: $729

Wireless USB Hub Range: approx 30 feet.

WT-4a: approx 590 feet for B and G networks, 850 feet for A networks.

Hi Everett. I may be the only dummy that logs into this site, but can you provide us with a "thumbnail description" of what you are trying to accomplish & do with the wireless setup? (I'm not a camera pro, but I do know a thing or two about computer technology.) AP

Everett most likely wants the pictures taken wirelessly from a remote camera, transfered wirelessly to a computer, and auto back up to a remote wireless hard disk connected somewhere to a wireless access point with an USB port and hard disc attached.

On the top of it Everett may want to transfer pictures to wireless home video center like one from Helios (see the link), for instant playback on a huge LCD HDTV. Excellent solution for a studio with a lot of cash.

My guess is that this is what he wants?, but this will not fly well with the word "inexpensive".

http://helios-labs.com/us/products/X5000/x5000_tech_specs.shtml

http://helios-labs.com/us/index.shtml?gclid=CPfOjdGBi5ECFQJRlgodWSvqHg

Really just looking for an expensive wireless solution for the studio: after I take the shot, I want it to show up on the screen. When I take the next shot, the previous shot goes away and the next shot shows up. That's it. Of course I would probably have to use Camera Control Pro...

I've had an idea for awhile for club/event photography that would be a hit, but it would definitely require the WT-4a transmitter so you could move beyond 30 ft. Bring my macbook and my projector and while I'm taking pictures of the crowd they are projected for everyone to see. Camera Control Pro can do this, from what I understand. So if you got a crappy shot you wouldn't have to send it. And if there was any idle time just set your screen saver to 3 minutes and point to the folder that all the images are in: viola - instant screen saver during any downtime for the crowd to enjoy. I wouldn't want it to be the focal point of the event, as I'm sure people would get tired of that quickly, but it would be a nice addition to an event.

I think it's a good idea but it's just going to be awhile before I can afford the transmitter and Camera Control Pro.

Everett, I think your solution with the DLink Wireless USB hub would work. I checked out

DLink's website and as far as I can tell it appears that the all it does is replace the physical

copper wire with an RF link. The camera and computer will behave the same as if they were tethered using a physical USB cable.

Thanks, I've been looking for away to do exactly that with my D50. This appears to be the

solution!

The easiest way of all is to run nikon camera control and shoot thethered to a lap top, we just mount a laptop on our tripods then wireless network to our main pc. This means being connected to a lap top but also lets you chimp on a 17 inch screen rather than the back of your camera. It looks really impressive to clients to see pics pop up on the lap top meanwhile in the background we just target folder on the main edit pc where my edit staff adjust anything and print out immediatly on our new shinko (best peice of equipment I have ever bought).

Not totally wireless but works well in a studio or mobile event situation, if you don't like the idea of mounting onto the tripod just set a little road case up on wheels to carry the laptop. For field action shots we use wt's they are simply the best option.

We use thethered in the studio because it is fast and reliable and it's realy easy to network pcs wirlessly now.