EOS 450D/Rebel XSi

mark u

[[so which advanced amatuer customers are buying these babies?]]

I think you really have underestimated what people spend on hobbies and past-times. Spend a weekend at a SCCA event and you'll see far more than $12K driving around the tracks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>"The image from the Live View mode is displayed as a smooth, 30fps video feed..."</i> <p>

When I bought a 30D I also bought an S3 IS for my SO (originally, she was going to get a 350D/XT and she would 'share' it with me) - But then she decided she really wanted to have video + stills . <p>

If Canon can put 30fps to the LCD, it should be trivial for them to add video recording. <p>

A DSLR with video recording would allow me to splurge for a second DSLR - 'Oh look Honey, a new toy for you!' <b>;)</b>

"leaving the original 5D in the market to age to become 3 years old when or before its replacement finally arrives would be seen a suicidal move from a marketing prospective"

Not really. It's the only affordable full frame DLSR on the market. It's much less than half the price (now under $2200) of its nearest competitor ($5000 for the D3).

If people were less fixated on spec and more attentive to performance, the 5D would sell even better!

I actually think the move from CF to SD was inevitable. Let's face it: SD cards are in fact taking over the market. They are smaller. They are cheaper. . . and they work.

I have a Canon P&S with a SD card. I have a PDA with a SD card. A 2GB can be readily acquired for $25 at Staples. Converting to SD cards is no big deal.

- - - - - - -

Look, I am not a MegaPixel wonder boy. I am still shooting a 6mp 10D. But the bottom line is that this is the second time that the rebel series has notably trumped the xOd cameras in the ONE area the TRUELY counts: Image capture.

Is there anyone out there that really thinks the 30D was superior to the 400D in terms of image capture? All the 40D added to the mix was to make a tweak to the 400D sensor while adding the 14bit A/D converters. Note that the 450D has both the 14bit A/D converter and the digic III processor.

Is there any reason to think that the new 450D will be inferior to the 40D? Sure, going to 12mp from 10mp is a small incremental improvement: But it is still an improvement. And I do not, for one moment, believe that any compromise has been made in noise or dynamic range.

- - - - - - - -

It is frankly amazing in this day and age that the 5D was not freshened up with the 40D features. The 5D was always a 30D with a full frame sensor. How much R&D would it take to pull the 20D/30D non-upgrade trick?

To me, it is a simple in-your-face statement that Nikon still (in Canon's mind) has not brought out a true competitor to the 5D.

>>"It is frankly amazing in this day and age that the 5D was not freshened up with the 40D features. The 5D was always a 30D with a full frame sensor. How much R&D would it take to pull the 20D/30D non-upgrade trick?

To me, it is a simple in-your-face statement that Nikon still (in Canon's mind) has not brought out a true competitor to the 5D."

I totally agree.

To be exactly, the 5D was more of a full frame 20D, which is now 2 generations behind.

The 5D was without a question a landmark design, but Canon should still continue to move forward.

"To me, it is a simple in-your-face statement that Nikon still (in Canon's mind) has not brought out a true competitor to the 5D."

Totally agree. I think Canon's corporate mindset changed a few years back. In the days of the 10D and 300D, they were inovating faster and bringing prices down faster than anyone in the market and were well ahead. They weren't bothering to wait for or look to what comeptitors were doing. They just sized up the market and tried to deliver what it wanted, which delivered them near complete dominance.

I think their success in turn has made them conservative, not wanting to change a winning formula too much. Now they are more responding to their competitors rather than to what they could deliver to customers.

Becoming conservative is not unusual for big corps that have achieved dominance. The trouble may be that they will find themselves one day not so dominant, while also having lost the ability to aggressively innnovate.

Words of wisdom I say (Geoff):

"Becoming conservative is not unusual for big corps that have achieved dominance. The trouble may be that they will find themselves one day not so dominant, while also having lost the ability to aggressively innnovate."

Cheers

"...And I do not, for one moment, believe that any compromise has been made in noise or dynamic range..."

Jim, I really hope that you are right. I am afraid that Canon this time compromised high ISO IQ to push to 12 megapixels. The 'downgrade' to SD just increases my suspicion.

To be fair, I am waiting for the reviews. That's how I pre-ordered my XT back in 2005: It was a solid upgrade over the 300D, and I did not hesitate to pre-order.

Cheers

<p>Jim Larson wrote:

<blockquote><i>"Every time Canon increases the MP count, there are those who say "you don't need those extra MP" "Noise will increase" and other

stuff.</i></blockquote>

<blockquote><i>Honestly, this happens every time a newer, higher density, sensor is released."</i></blockquote>

<p>I'm with you, Jim.

<p>Now the messages often say "10MP is plenty. There is no advantage in going to 12MP. There will be too much noise at 12 MP; 10MP is the sweet spot."

<p>The funny thing is that the last time around they said "8MP is plenty. There is no advantage in going to 10MP. There will be too much noise at 10MP; 8MP is the

sweet spot."

<p>And at the time of the previous update it was "6MP is plenty. There is no advantage in going to 8MP. There will be too much noise at 8MP; 6MP is the sweet spot."

<p>:-)

<p>Dan

I think that this piece of junk is aimed at the Point-n-shoot soccer moms that think they want to go into a home business taking kids pictures. If it had any thing to do with the pro back-up market it would have the same battery as the 20d, 40d, 5d, etc and wouldn't have changed memory cards. They could have used both. Just my opinon, Bill

Ah, balony. The XTi already had a different battery in ti. And honestly. . .I expect the 50D and 5D-II to use SD cards. Honestly, I have several GB worth of CF cards, and I prefer the new cameras to use SD cards.

And I suspect a "pro" would be more likely to have two XTi's than a 5D and a XTi. Having the backup act differntly than your main camera is asking for trouble.

• 4 months later...