Question for working photojournalists about usage rights

jamesjems

Question to all you photogs working out there for a paper:

Do you feel in any way limited or encumbered by your paper for including images

you've shot while on assignment in your personal portfolio? Have you ever been

told by your paper that you couldn't include an image in your portfolio because

the paper owned the exclusive rights to it? Do you know anyone who has?

James

The freelance and staff photographers at my paper have never been forbidden to use their images in a portfolio. We just aren't allowed to directly sell said images to another publication or wire service - in the case of freelancers, the paper stipulates exclusive rights for a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem. The last paper I worked at was very open and even let me submit

some images to competitions. The one before that I was a contract freelancer so I owned

the rights according to our contract. It's important to note that freelance contracts are all

different. You might sell all the rights to your photo or just the rights for the first time

they are printed. Depends on what you negotiate.

Also, if you use your own gear when you are working for a paper INCLUDING your own

film (if you use film) and pay for the processing and whatnot I believe you own the rights

even if you are an employed journalist.

• 2 months later...

Usually in your contract it will be stated that photos you take become the property of the paper/magazine. However if you are using them for non-profit then you should be fine. Speak to the editor and explain you want to use pictures you have taken in your portfolio...he/she can hardly say no! If you are freelance then the images should not have been signed over to the paper! You should always keep copyright...it should be you first concern.

It is very much like a sportsperson who cannot play for another club whilst under contract...but can go to the local TV STATION and show off their skills on TV, [obviously harm and insurance play apart but the principle is the same].

[Do you feel in any way limited or encumbered by your paper for including images you've shot while on assignment in your personal portfolio?]...

Are you suggesting that your publication does stop you? Because I've never heard of anything like this.