24mm Lens for FD, any brand question

timwitt

I'm curious about a 24mm lens. Just how much difference in the viewfinder is

there between 24 and 28, or would you (personally) go from 28 to 20 and skip

24? No real technical info needed, just basic opinion.

Also any image knowledge of Vivitar 24mm f2, 55mm filter size, ($30, BGN) and

Vivitar 24mm f2.8, MC, 52mm filter size, ($47,EX). I have no other info on

these but they are not Series 1. I don't know serial numbers/maker. Also

available, Canon 24mm f2.8 chrome nose,($31), UG.

if you're presently using a 28mm lens and shift to a 24, you capture an (approx) 17% more horizotally and vertically, or if shifting to a 20mm lens you capture approx. 40% more on each axis. I used to like a 28mm on my slr or dslr, but now use a 20 if I need to go wide. 20 seems to work nicely for me on my FD and Nikon F100, really grabs the edges...but unless I'm very careful about placement and getting things absolutely level in relation to one another, the distortions can be horrendous.

I've used the Vivitar 24mm 2.8 and was happy with it. I used to use a 28mm as a normal lens on my A-1 and found when I started using the 24mm I didn't like it as much. For me there was a learning curve as it "pushes" things back so much I needed to learn how to use it. Now that I've learned what I like to use it for ( interiors, close up of HUGE objects) I think it's a sweet lens. I've since acquired a Canon version and given the Vivitar to my better half who is also quite pleased with it. At the prices you're talking about I don't think you'll go wrong by buying the lens and trying it out.

I have a 24/2.8 Canon FD SSC with a chrome front. Most of these very old 24mm FD lenses have separation of the rear elements. Mine was expertly repaired by Ken Ruth at Photography On Bald Mountain in Davenport, CA and I really like it. Most FD experts say that Canon's best 24 was the 24/2 New FD model. I'll let you know about that when I get one. There were several different models of the 24 and 28 with the Vivitar name in FD mount. The 28/2.5 Fixed Mount is very nice and not expensive. The 28/2 with the 22XXX... serial # is sharp but often has oil on the blades. The 28/2 with the 28XXX... serial # is also sharp and rarely suffers from the oil problem. The same information holds true for the two different 24/2 Vivitar lenses. The 28/2.8 28XXX... model is nice. The 24/2.8 37XXX... model came in Fixed Mount and TX mount versins. Both are decent. The much later 24 and 28 lenses with serial numbers starting with a 9 or a 7 are not nearly as good. The Kiron 28/2, 28/2.8 and 24/2 are all very good. The Canon 28/2.8 FD SC is inexpensive, light and very sharp.

I almost never use my 28mm f2.8 nFD and yet use my 24mm f2.0 nFD all the time. I've even used it to shoot Wedding formals on a paddle wheel boat that was so crowded I couldn't get far enough to get 6 people in a shot without it.

I think it to be an outstanding lens.

I currently have a 28mm f2.8 nFD. My plan at this point is to aquire a 24mm f2.8 nFD based on updated optics as compared to the breech version and lower cost as compared to the f2.0 version. Does anyone know of any reason (other than one stop) why the f2.8 nFD would not be a good value as compared to the f2.0? Is there a sharpness difference that would be so great? Is the nFD the only version of the 24mm f2.0?

Definately a sharpness issue, the 24mm f2 nFD uses "all spherical lens elements" 9 groups

11 elements, whereas the 24mm f2.8 nFD uses "select optical glass" 9 groups 10

elements.. I mainly use the 24mm f1.4 'L' for field reasons, but I believe the f2 is just as

sharp. And as Mark pointed out, the 24mm is always used. Good Luck!

Hi Everyone

I've owned both over the years and I have to say that for me I found the 28mm lens a bit un inspiring but I used the 24mm a lot. I know this sounds daft but that was the case for me. I owned the 28mm a lot longer ago so maby my photography tastes changed over the years but when I finally bought a 24mm years after giving the 28mm away to a friend I found I really liked the 24mm and used it a lot.

Best regards

David Thrower

The 24mm has been my SLR workhorse wide-angle for decades. Haven't found a need to carry both a 24mm and a 28mm. For me, 28mm is more a rangefinder focal length.

The FD 24mm f2.8 is great, the FD 24mm f2 is superb. I was interested in the f1.4, was warned off it as being heavy and not as good as the f2. Haven't tried it, but haven't missed the extra stop either. I have the Vivitar 24mm f2 as well, because it was dirt cheap and I used it for a while. It generates a lot of what is often referred to as "glow" ... that means your brightest highlights flare out and detail gets very soft. If you like that sort of effect, it's nice, but if you are clinical, it is clearly not in the league of the other lenses.

24/2.8 SSC is my primary "standard" FD lens...wish I had f/2...24's not so wide that it becomes the subject, unlike 20mm...which viewers always notice. Soft in corners at f/16, but it's fine at larger apertures.

I mostly use CV 25/4 on Canon P ... *much* sharper (like 50/1.4 screaming sharpness)...