Potato salad

gene m

Gene, as I think I always say: "Those are the best one's yet!"

Just yesterday I visited a little photo gallery in a town nearby. There were lots of pictures of old cars and old farms. But who is photographing our streets and our society now? Your images drive home the fact that we probably need to record the "now"; the mundane.

I agree with the prior post. I've made a project for several years of documenting the change in the small town where I live. So often, change will sneak up so gradually that one day you wake up and the whole place is different! It's particularly important when the town doesn't have good newspaper photography, which used to be a staple.

In on of the Nomad shots it looks like there is a Nomad wagon parked outside... well at first I thought it was parked in the living room. I wonder how many people got suckered into buying this camera simply because they thought it was funny that it had the same name as the car? B.T.W.... who gets potato salad on their birthday??!

Those are both Kodacolor-II, so it has to be 1973 or later. Which is certainly what the clothes at the birthday party scream to this child of that era...

You could see if someone's willing to follow the procedure in Kodak publication AE-31, "Processing Color Films Developed as Black and White", they give a procedure to bleach, rexpose, and process in C-41 chemicals, which is supposed to result in a color negative.

Richard's response reminded me of an old-time store in my hometowm where you could buy groceries, blue jeans, or cowboy boots. My grandmother worked there for many years. I always wanted to photograph the store, the old couple that ran it, etc.

Then, the owner suddenly took ill, the store closed, too late now. I have never seen a photo from inside that place, or of the owners or my grandmother while she was working there.

Gene, you're a real magician. That shot of the teens around the birthday cake with trails of

fire on the candles is haunting....

When I look at your found film, I can hear a voice in my head asking "detective" questions

like an old Bogart film.

That young fella enjoying himself so much with two gals on his arms-I bet he is either

leaving for the service or is back on leave after basic training. That short haircut was

definitely NOT in style in the 70's. I wonder if those gals are his sisters or cousins?

Sweethearts?

I think you pegged the 'tater salad & chicken right. And I bet Granny did get her fair share!

Thanks again for rescuing these bits of Americana.

These little snapshots in time are always a delight. I hope that you have dug a hole and buried the Sawyers, it may contaminate your collection.

I'm wondering if this was one celebration or several.... recording everyone's birthday plus Christmas and thanksgiving on one roll of Kodacolor. If Granny could have done without the hairspray they may have had enough money for processing!

Tony

Bob Camarena, Jan 13, 2008; 08:58 p.m.

"Those cute teenages are now on the cusp of old age." <P>

Now wait a minute! 1973 was only 35 years ago so, if they were 16 then, they'd barely be into their 50s now, not quite the cusp of old age by my standards.<P>

What happened to "fifty is the new thirty<P>Let's say it was more like the late '60s. That's at least 38 years ago. The kids are mid-teens, say 16. 38+16=54, and their first offer to join the AARP will arrive in the mailbox next year (a horrible milepost for most of us). Yep -- definitely on the cusp of old age.

its kind of unsettling to realize

that such cameras were actually

being sold and used in your lifetime!

yuk!

I you all want i can show you a marvel

of a camera that i saw at the antiques mall.

It is German, it looks like it does

not know what it wants to be, a 35mm or some

version of a box camera.

It is tinny, ungainly and feels like an empty coffee can.

It has a crown monogram and the letter "K" on it's face plate.

Ugliest G-Dang thing, excepting perhaps Gene's posted

freak box , that i have ever seen . OTG!

I like those pictures though - fuzzy and mysterious,

creepy as they are!