How comfortable are ThinkTank Urban Disguise Bags?

dave_l.

I'm looking at getting a ThinkTank Urban Disguise bag as I hear nothing but

positive reviews and they seem very thoughfully laid out. I know it's well

made, has lots of pockets, etc. But how comfortable is it on the move? I

can't tell how good the shoulder strap is, how the bag fits against your body,

etc.

Sadly, I live in in area where I cannot get somewhere that sells ThinkTank

bags to try them personally.

I'm liable to be walking long distances (no hiking/camping) and possibly

riding a bike with the bag on. Any thoughts on its suitability for light

activity like this? Ergonomics are important to me and I love my Timbuk2

messenger bag for this reason.

I would never be carrying a laptop and very rarely would I be carrying a

second body in this bag.

VERY comfortable. Thinner profile so whatever weight is in the bag stays close to the body. I bought the 60 as when I travel I carry a lot of junk besides cameras... but occasionally I WILL have enough gear to fill the bag. The included strap is the most comfortable I have ever used and the even come with a detachable CF/SD card caddy.

as well as a deployable rain shield. VERY well designed and built. I have used LowePro for 25 years... but ThinkTank is the best out there... unless you need a camping... wilderness environment bag... then it's still LoewPro's area.

A shoulder bag is very tiring after a while. If you plan to walk more than 2 hours, a backpack is a much better choice. You can always sling it over one shoulder for short distances or when things get busy. Sure, you have to put it down to swap gear, but I find I have to do that with an heavy shoulder bag as well.

I've been using a LowePro Computrekker Plus as my two-camera gig bag for nearly two years now, and recently a Thinktank backpack for video/sound gear.

I'm well aware of the loss of comfort with shoulder bags. I have a Lowepro Orion Trekker that suits my style quite well (although I still struggle to lash a tripod to it). But I also know there is a HUGE range of comfort possible with shoulder bags. A lot of that is due to how they fit when worn across your body and against your back. And there are many times when I'm in large crowds, confined spaces, etc where I find a backpack very cumbersome.

It is precisely in close spaces where I find a backpack superior to a shoulder bag - from clamboring up narrow stairs in European castles, or the bustling Summer Palace in Beijing. I also find that climbing (or decending) steep ways with a shoulder bag is seriously destabilizing.

Us old guys (and some younger ones) always have back problems. Shoulder bags always put a strain on my back. I just bought a Lowepro Slingshot 200 backpack (the medium size). All I can say is WOW. The biggest selling point for me was how I can swing the bag around to the front of my body (without taking it off) and quickly remove my camera - literally within seconds! This can be accomplished even while walking or running. With the bag in front, I can rest my elbows on it for stabilization. Here's a link with images of a wide variety of cameras and equipment in the Slingshot.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lowepro+slingshot+200&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

• 1 month later...

I doubt anyone is going to read a follow-up to a month old post, but I thought I might give an update.

I stopped by Helix Camera in Chicago (wonderful shop, by the way) and tried out the Urban Disguise bag. I bought one on the spot. I don't think I can express how well thought out, well made, comfortable, and flexible these bags are. This is about as comfortable as you can possibly get with a shoulder bag. The additional d-rings on the back allow me to use a stabilizing cross-strap I have from another messenger bag. For my needs it blew the slingshot, tamrac velocity, and any of the crumpler bags out of the water. Really, just a great bag.

• 2 years later...