Do I really need to have my Hasselblad equipment serviced?

joseph_krause

A serious amateur (by no means a pro), I have been a Photo.net member for some years and have much

benefitted from guidance given on different forums. So, knowing the audience that I am addressing, I

think that I am posting a reasonable question for Hasselblad, and hopefully other medium format,

owners.

If you have good used equipment which has been producing excellent results, how often does it

practically need to be serviced, or in the jargon, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted?

I sent this question to the people at Hasselblad in New Jersey in an e-mail requesting some estimate for

the servicing. Their answer was simple: place your equipment in a box and send it to us. To their credit,

my exchanges with Hasselblad in NJ have always been very positive. But the consequences of this inquiry

sound rather expensive.

For the last several years I have been shooting with a 503CX (1988), 150mm CF T* Planar (1982), 80mm

CF T* Planar (1991) and four A12/A16 backs (between 1971 and 1990). Everything purchased used from

KEH and e-bay since 2000. The results have never disappointed (not altogether true), but I keep hearing

that you have to have your gear serviced every two or three years. I work the lenses through their

apertures and exposures at least once every month.

So, how often, does one really need to service equipment that has been well cared for?

Best, Joseph

It depends. No cut a dry answer.

Exercise it once in a while. Determine how it operates from using it and from the results

you get. I don't use my Hasselblad stuff for my business anymore but if I still did then I

would answer the question with a different answer.

Caution: if you're going to use it for an important event then perhaps it should be checked

out. An investment in a CLA is worth far more than a lost event.

So, to reiterate, it depends.

Contact Dave Odess. He is one of the best servicing Hasselblad cameras.

Cheers and have a wonderful 2008.

A pro's usage is obviously greater/more demanding and they stand to lose a lot more when equipment fails on the job than I would as an amateur...so frequent servicing makes total sense. In the amateur realm cameras see far less usage and the danger comes with hardening of the lubricants. Like you I exercise my Hasselblad at least once a month (if not used)...as well as my small collection of 35mm bodies. Other than that I just keep them clean and dry...I have a couple of Nikon's I purchased brand new as a kid now some 30 years ago that have never been serviced. I've owned my Hasselblad kit 5 years without servicing...I've only CLA'd one camera, a used Rolleiflex, that was so pristine it was obvious it had sat unused for many years.

All of the answers given to this point are correct, with the exception of the person who wrote, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Because your camera body, lenses and film magazines are mechanical, they do require cleaning, lubrication and adjustment from time to time. Dust and dirt can get into the components, and lubricants dry up and get gummy over time, especially with lack of use.

Very generally speaking, equipment that is used professionally, on a day to day basis, would benefit from a CLA once every year. Equipment that is used less frequently would benefit from a CLA every 3 to 5 years.

It is good that you work your lenses at least every other month. I suggest firing each lens a half dozen times or so at each speed, every few months. This will help prevent the lubricant in the gear train (the part that controls the shutter speeds) from getting gummy.

If you notice that the slower shutter speeds start to drag, or seem too long, it is a sign that the lens needs to be serviced.

www.david-odess.com