the great photographers

tk shots

are photographers like diane arbus,nan goldin,larry clark,stephen shore,andreas

gursky,that guy crewdson and many more,are these people truly good photographers

or is it that they were in the right place at the right time,or that they came

up with a new way of taking photographs or what?

Someone who puts themself in the right place at the right time and comes up with a new way of taking photographs is a good/great/influencial art photographer. How else would you define that term?

If you're asking if they were just lucky and anyone else in the same place at the same time could have done just as well, the answer is no.

Sorry Fred, but that's about the most nonsensical argument I've ever seen!

Furthermore, to dismiss the argument of 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' is also

incredibly naive. Yes, of course you have to have the talent and vision, but you also have to

get the right people to buy into it. There are way too many opportunities for people to

miss the boat.

And another furthermore; unless you have seen everything that anybody has ever done,

you cannot state with any kind of authority whatsoever that no-one else could do it. It all

comes down to those known knowns and unknown knowns and stuff.

Logic dictates that it has to be a combination of the two. History proves that the balance is

not always evenly or constantly distributed! That applies to any field, not just photography.

Fred -

why is it nonsensical? Let's assume a scenario...a little hypothetical situation, mixed with a

bit of recent news.

A day at the San Francisco zoo.

There I am, perched attentively with my trusty Nikon and my KFC Family Bucket, waiting

patiently for the Giant Panda to appear with Ping-Pong, her newborn five-legged cub.

Everyone wants to see little Ping-Pong take his first steps in the sunshine. A five-legged

baby Panda - guaranteed front page. I'm gonna need a lorry to carry away all my cash

from this shot.

100yds up the path and out of my direct line of sight, a tiger jumps the barrier and starts

snacking on the visitors, before running off in the opposite direction. I can hear all the

commotion, but there is no way I can get there quickly.

Ethel Dunshootin, on a visit from Luckville, Alabama, snaps the moment on her $10

throwaway camera and earns a fortune from a couple of fuzzy images that could just as

easily be passed off as snaps of a Yeti riding a unicycle.

Meanwhile, little Ping-Pong the Panda is still sound asleep somewhere indoors and my

chicken is getting cold.

That hardly puts me in the right place at the right time, does it? Hence, my assertion that

your argument is quite nonsensical.

What Fred may have been saying is that it's not about being in the right place at the right time, more about making wherever you are into the right place.

In that sense were all in the right place at the right time, but most of us don't realize it. There's little skill involved in getting an interesting picture of a UFO landing. There's a lot of skill in getting an interesting picture of more ordinary subjects, which is what many of the cited photographers achieved.

what i mean by the right place at the right time is that none of the photographers came from hungary or ireland etc....if there was a photographer of equal ability from a country such as those i don't think they would be included....what is the genius of that stephen shore shot of the road and the cloud? is andreas gursky successful because his shots are big and looking down on his subjets?what's genius about that?

i can see the ability in some people but certainly not in others and i wouldn't describe any of it as genius....

Thats an interesting scenario Russell. While you may not get the shot of the tiger or panda (maybe Ping-Pong doesn't come out that day), I think what Fred is saying is that you could get great shots of the crowd running in terror or the zoo staff running towards the tiger with their rifles. In the future perhaps your photo becomes more widely recognized because the photo of the reactions tell a better story than the photo of the incident. Its about making the very best of ANY given situation. At least I think thats what he meant...

Responding to Tommy ONLY

The people you cited are technically fine photogs, with a particular vision that they pursue relentlessly

But, there are lots of hightly talented photogs that applies to who did not somehow catch the attention of the gods of THE ART WORLD. How that happens, this deponent knoweth not, but yes it is a part of their status

it is nice to see someone reply to my question....this is what i mean jack,if diane arbus lived in the west of ireland i don't think she would have the status she has....having said that,i do like her shots....when you take photographs of extraordinary subjects,it is much easier to get powerful shots....she was probably part of a group of photographers in the one place at the one time,the media took it up,and it was sold to the world,then all of a sudden everyone's a genius....the reality is there is little difference in ability between these people and many others