dark prints epson r1400

Hi, my prints are coming out a good one stop darker than what shows on screen.

CS3; PS manages colors; print dialog, ICM, no color adj. Calibrated LG 19 inch

monitor (Spyder2) I am using the Epson profile for matte paper. Could my getting

a custom printer profile correct THAT much of a difference? It must be me as I

had same problem with an R380 printer. But what am I doing wrong? Ink is

expensive to be guessing all the time! HALP!

I'm having a similar problem with similar equipment. If anyone out there is willing to take this on please let me know what information I need to supply to get on the right track. Thanks. Don't mean to hijack your thread Steve, but maybe we can both get help on this!

I have the 1400 and prints generally look like the screen image. I am far from an expert, but here are a couple of ideas.

Are you saying that in the print dialog window, "ICM" is not checked and "no color adjustment" is checked? I believe these are the correct settings for PS to manage. (I have a Mac, and the dialog box is a little different).

I also use the Spyder2. I don't think it actually sets the screen brightness, so I do it manually. Are the prints dark with other papers and profiles also? Maybe the monitor brightness should be reduced.

I also recall that on the "Preset", using "Photo High" produced somewhat darker prints so I use "Photo". I hope any of this helps.

Thanks for all the responses. To make sure of what my situation is maybe I wasn't too clear; win XP ser pac 2,epson printer dialog is ICM box is checked, no color adj box is checked. Paper is presentation matte. In photoshop, I have "photoshop manages colors" intent as "relative colormetric"

Charles, could you explain what you meant about reducing ink%?

And also would getting a custom print profile help? I have the Epson 8 paper/printer profiles that came with the printer.

BTW, I tried a print using Picasa and the result was the same ie subdued colors and contrast. Monitor was recalibrated yesterday to 6500 K as suggested by colorvision (actually, something like 6489K using the monitor's RGB sliders) Thanks again! Steve

Steve,

I found a bunch of useful info at the Epson website. They have an article labeled "Printing with Photoshop and Windows." It might help, I have to wait to get home before I can attempt any of the info. I update my success/failure later tonight.

I have made mention to using the Ink Config. feature on the advanced settings page of the Epson Print driver to change saturation on some papers in other posts. Custom profiles will affect only minor differences in most cases. I think that your Photoshop color management settings may be the problem area. What color space are you working in and sending to the printer?

Hi! I went to control Panel and checked my printer settings there and it said it was using this old profile from JAN. 07 I corrected THAT and things were comining out a tad better. Now I'm going to get "Inkjetart' to profile the charts That i just made up. I will post what I find.

Thanks again, Steve /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It sure did. I went and picked up some Epson Ultra Premium Photo paper and the print out was amazing.

I'm using a HP w2408 24" monitor. I tried to print out a photo on some HP Glossy paper, it didn't turn out bad, it just was missing something, but the same pic on the Epson paper was flawless! I never realized how important the paper profile was.

Anybody/everybody, please feel free to comment/suggestions!

Mathew, I'm glad you got the problem fixed. I am beginning to think that the "chain" in my workflow has numerous bad links. The monitor, I think, is for gamers (2ms response time and 3000:1 contrast ratio).(brand is "LG") After profiling the monitor, windows doesn't put it in as the default. Maybe I am looking for professional results with consumer grade equipment. The gamma setting is either minus 50, zero or plus 50. the default is zero. what that corresponds to, I have no idea. My prints are better, only because I "chased" the monitor settings to match the print.

"when working in an electronics firm when done final testing on the product: "Ship It!" Being as that I had to wait till next month to get my printer calibrated. I got impatient.

What I found:

This is a KNOWN problem with Epson and CS3, there is a 70 MB download from PS that addresses the problem a little.

In XP in control panel I found wrong profile being used by windows for the Epson r1400 chosen from a list of "icc" The right one shows up in the printer dialog. I am going to assume that both were being used, thus the dark prints. BTW prior to checking all this I did a complete virus scan! I just did a test pring od a fall scene with saturated blue sky, saturated foilage and reflections of both on the water. Right now I am very cautiously optimisticly happy, I could just spit! tomorrow I will do some 1 stop overexposed bird on snow and see how they come out. Now maybe I can get some of these up on some walls in town1 Thanks everybody for their support and encouragement. Stay tuned! Steve