Do you find the L plate comfortable when handholding?

yakim_peled1

Good morning,

I plan to buy a grip to my 40D and RRS L plate. Now, most of the time I expect

to shoot handheld and I was wondering if keeping the L plate all the time does

not make the handling of the camera less convenient. I am not posting it in the

EOS forum as I think this is a question anyone with an L plate can answer.

Please refer to both horizontal and vertical shooting.

TIA.

Happy shooting and happy new year,

Yakim.

I have L-plates on just about all of my cameras. The latest incarnation is an RRS plate for the D200. I do not notice the addition of the L plate in hand-held shooting, not horizontal, not vertical. You're not supposed to notice it.

The difference it does make is of course for tripod mounted shooting in the vertical aspect.

I think the answer to your question might have more to do with the basic ergonomics of the camera and less with the add-on plate. The plate, afterall, is after-market and designed around the camera; it was never an "integrated accessory" - and even some of these are poorly done.

Not knowing how your camera feels in your hands it would be impossible

for me to give you an answer. However, if you are happy with the way the camera handles, if it's ergonomics suit you, it's likely that a well-designed L-plate won't interfere with your HH shooting.

That being said,you may well be better off posting this in the Canon Forum.

Simple Answer: Yes, I find it comfortable when hand-holding.

Longer Answer: I do know that I am holding metal instead of the rubberized finish of my primary camera (D300). It can get colder quicker in winter. But, you really usually use your left hand to hold the lens with the right hand on the side that doesn't have the plate.

It also depends a little on the camera. The D300 sweeps back a bit and therefore there is a small gap between parts of the plate and the body. The L-plate is significantly less "unnoticeable" than using the one with my D80. But, all that said, after about a week after getting my L-plate for my D300 I stopped noticing and now it would probably feel odd without the plate.

I too am thinking about an RRS l-plate, for my d300 with grip. I would like clarification on vertical hand holding with a grip & plate where you actually have to grip around the plate. not sure if that situation has been directly adressed here???

The allen key screw attachment of the plates has put me off them, as i mostly hand hold, and not sure i'd leave the plate on always.... i know i'd be losing the allen key at the wrong time...

I'm perfectly comfortable hold cameras with L-plates. I don't really think of it.

If you hold the camera correctly (and not like on television), you are merely supporting the camera with your left hand, and possibly cradling the lens with your fingers for zoom or focus. The L plates, which stay on my cameras, rest on the heel of my partially folded hand.