Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF Autofocus Lens

madhu_menon

I am talking about an alternative zoom to what Madhu is proposing, neither of us is talking about a prime. I am talking of a zoom that starts at 24mm instead of 28mm so it will still be a wide angle on a DX sensor D80. Madhu, the long end is also quite a bit longer and will be effectively about 200mm so the zoom will be like an 35-200mm zoom on a 35mm full frame format.

The 28-105/3.5-4.5 is a good lens for the money, but a little long as a "normal" zoom lens for a DX camera. The filter ring turns as you zoom the lens (but not with focusing).

The Macro function is not all that good, more of a close-focusing range with a lot of field curvature. If it saves you a lens change, then fine. Otherwise, invest in a legitimate macro lens. I carry a 55/2.8 AIS Micro, which is good at any distance and has no chromatic aberation that I can see.

For a little more money, you can get an used 35-70/2.8 which has outstanding image quality and a sharper "macro" range than the 28-105.

"For a little more money, you can get an used 35-70/2.8 which has outstanding image quality and a sharper "macro" range than the 28-105."

Doesn't the AF 35-70mm f2.8 Nikkor lens 'only' go 'macro' at the 35mm setting? The AF 28-105mm zoom starts at 50mm and goes through 105mm in the "macro" mode.

I have six lenses I use for my two D70's. If I had to get rid of all of them and just use one on each body, I would have to keep the Nikon 28-105mm. It's a superb lens. The 28mm is comparable to a "normal" lens on 35mm and 105mm more than long enough for a great portrait lens.

The macro performance is great too.

• 2 months later...