Any plans for new wide angle f/1.4 lenses?

bob_smith68

Hi,

I'm an old Leica user now shooting with a D200, and I love to shoot in

"available light" with the depth-of-field of fast lenses. I would love to get a

wide angle (something like my Leica 35mm, which would be about 24mm on the

digital) f/1.4 lens.

I'm aware of the Nikon 28mm f/1.4 which everyone seems to love (aside from the

price). I've seen different stories about why it was discontinued. I'm also

aware of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which doesn't sound too hot.

My question is whether anyone knows if Nikon/Nikkor is planning to release

something close to this in the future. I would think they could make a DX lens

for the smaller image plane without too much trouble.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Boulder CO

I have no idea if Nikon is planing on new 1.4 primes, but they should...

is crazy how much people are paying for the 28mm 1.4D, the lens was $1700 BRAND NEW and I see used (MINT) going for over $3000 :o

I have one and is a beautiful lens, but IMO is a big gamble to buy one now at that crazy high price when a new model may be on the way.. or not.

I think it will come I mean the 28 and 85 and 200 are the classic trio.

My bet is that those who are holding the 28 right now, if and when Nikon pops the 28 or 24 1.4 out with AFS (full frame) the 2nd hand 28mm will get a big drop.

I think maybe anytime up to say 4 years?

Bob the standard answer is nobody knows. Nikon never reveals plans ahead and we all just have to wait and see.

The Nikkor 28mm f1.4 is cheaper than many Leica lenses so in a way it is a cheap deal ^^.

The comment about using a D3 is not so far out. If you look at a bundle of a D3 with a number of cheap used older MF lenses like the cheap 28mm f2.0 the D3 may just not be more expensive than a D300 with a similar set of new lenses. If you need one body and one lens the story is different.

As to the DOF comment I see no reason why one needs less DOF than f2.0 from a 28mm lens, especially since exact focusing is already difficult for an f2.0 lens with any body inferior to an than F3. I use a Katz eye screen on my D200 but even then MF at very wide apertures produces a high fraction of missed focus shots. There may be exceptions but Juanjo show me the example where at f2.0 there was too much DOF!

This brings us back to the Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens. The large spread in comments about the IQ of this lens has two reasons: 1) the major problem to focus exactly with both AF and MF on most Nikon bodies. 2) possibly in addition sample variation.

If you can get the lens at a decent store with return policy you can get an excellent lens. The images have a distinct look that I like very much and resolution is also very good. The lens does not seem to follow the trend of most Nikon lenses of very high contrast - so what. I personally prefer the 28mm f2.0 and wait for the D3 in a few month.

First of all, ISO 25600 on the D3 is not exactly generating great results. You are still better off using lower ISO's. However, having very good high ISO results certainly reduces the need for fast lenses, making a small market segment even smaller. That is why it will not be a very high priority for lens manufacturers.

Nikon will probably introduce some new f1.4, f2 primes, but I wouldn't count on very many varieties and prices will be high for a somewhat niche product. Additionally, those focal lengths will likely be mainly designed for the FX sensor although obviously they can also be used on DX.

Another reason for Nikon NOT to introduce primes in that focal length range is the new FANTASTIC 14-24 f/2.8 zoom.

Even though it is only an f/2.8 - when combined with the greatly improved high ISO performance of the latest camera bodies (as mentioned above) it will fill 99% of the need in that focal length range.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I have only one lens on my D200 now, which is the 17-55 f/2.8 zoom. This is a terrific lens, but I do miss the look of my old Leica shots with the faster glass.

As for high ISO's, I rarely go above 1600 due to the noise. Shooting with fast glass at low ISO is really not the same as shooting with slower glass compensating with higher ISO -- the depth of field and noise issues give photos with very different character. I'm looking for the former.

After going back and forth I think I'm going to give the Sigma 30 a try. I'd feel like a stooge if dropped megabucks on a used Nikon 28/1.4 and then they came out with a suitable replacement the next year...

I really don't see how anyone can suggest that even very high quality f2.8 zooms can replace faster primes. Not to mention the size difference of the lenses, as Bob is aware, the dof is totally different. Take a full frame 50 f2 as a standard of shallow but usable dof at f2. At 10 feet and f2 the dof is about 14". With the 2.8 zoom set at 33mm focal length (and f 2.8) as is necessary to get the same crop at 10 ft as for a candid portrait, the dof is about 45". The resulting images are going to be very different. Even if you back up to about 18' to get the same crop with the 55mm dx setting, at 2.8, you've still got about 4' of dof.

I have a Nikon DSLR, but I find that I am needing to use my 35mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor to get the f/1.4 that I need for a moderate focal length view with good selective focus. It is a pain to a degree, metering with my Sekonic incident, focusing via the electronic rangefinder, but I get a look that I can't get with even an f/2.8 zoom.

If Nikon does not feel the need to inject at least one f/1.4 lens with a semi-normal focal length (shorter than a 50mm f/1.4 for DX), then my 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor will be going into its third decade as my "go to" lens.

The point Russ makes is that since there are already an excellent 17-35mm/f2.8 and a 14-24mm/f2.8, and you can shoot at ISO 1600, how many people will still buy an expensive 24mm/f1.4? I am sure that some people will, but not that many.

Nikon might reintroduce the 28mm/f1.4 as an AF-S, but IMO it is unlikely that they'll have a 24mm/f1.4, 28mm/f1.4 and 35mm/f1.4.

Hopefully we'll some of those new lenses in 2008.

Considering the improvements in high iso photography vs. what film would yield then we could actually several stops more sensitivity with slightly slower lenses.

Most of the fast lenses were only average performer wide open.

I would like to see some designs with an f1.8 max aperture. A nice nine blade design would give good bokeh and with a camera capable of decent iso 3200 and VR shutter speed two stops slower you have a pretty capable overall kit. All factors considered these days we can get way better low light photos than when we had slow media and fast lenses with no VR.

Again, I dont see what 14-24 has to do with the need for fast primes. One other thing I dont understand is why people who dont need fast primes, say Nikon shouldnt bother making them at all. I dont need a 400mm F/2.8 but you wont hear me talking about how that lens is useless and completely unnecessary cause we have a slow zooms like 200-400mm and ISO 25,600 now.

If you dont want it, then why care? Believe it or not, there are some of us who do want fast lenses.

<b>"...Again, I dont see what 14-24 has to do with the need for fast primes...."</b>

<p>

The point is that many people do NOT need fast primes since a high quality zoom that covers the same ranges(s) can meet many of the needs that people want.

<p>

The few people that still want a faster prime (for reasons posted above) may or may not be a market that can return Nikon's investment in research and development.

<p>

That fact directly addresses the original question/topic of this thread.

Most will not need the fast lenses that much .. but there are some like artistic types, very low light like portraiture for a soft look or concerts without the use of flash or even handheld without flash say in a tourist attraction like military bunkers and stuff...

Cos its a prime most people for most subjects would just use the 14-24.

My guess is that the AFS prime may be around $1600 or $1800 .. which is like on par with the 14-24 zoom.

Great new nano coated Nikon fast primes are on the way. There is a very good demand for

them and now that FX is out of the bag, the primes that were on the drawing board, in the

R&D shop and now about to be released will soon be paired with the D3 owners who want

them.

Just be patient, Nikon is about to eat Canon for breakfast in regards to faster than 2.8

primes...

<i>"... Why would you need an f/1.4 wide-angle lens with ISO 25,600? ..."</i>

<p>See these examples, you cannot get this look with f2.8 or slower lenses.

<p>The child 80% down the page:

<p>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=721974#post721974

<p>Some pics in this compilation:

<p>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49075