Correct me if I'm wrong...

Veteran's View.

Well, now that I have been a member of PN for a whole week, here is how I see it...

There are many photographers here with great work, there are many 'snappers'. There are many willing

and eager to learn, there are some that are so good that you couldn't possibly teach them a thing - these

people are very important and should, of course, be treated with all the respect they deserve.

I have seen a few good responses from people clearly qualified to make them and some have been very

helpful. It is refreshing to see such people willing to help out where they can, without being

condescending. I like this.

The tub-thumpers are here, blowing more hot-air than a balloon festival. There is a pattern in this. Those

that tend to engage in such pontification tend, as a rule, to be those least qualified to do so. Bless the

www.!

Hypocrisy? No, surely not! It seems to me that one or two contributors need to refer back to their own

biographies a little more often. Chalk in a profile that turns to cheese in a forum is not very clever. Ho

hum.

Overall, I have found this site to be fun and informative and mostly friendly - unless ratings are involved!

This seems to be something best left alone - but then it's a little like the 'Wet Paint' sign, isn't it? Some

people tend to take things a little bit too seriously. They obviously have much better blood pressure than I

do.

Anyway...I like you PN.

P.S. If you really want LOTS of people to look at your photograph, make sure it has bare naked boobies in

it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>Overall, I have found this site to be fun and informative and mostly friendly - unless ratings are involved!</i><p>

G'day Russell,<br>Yup, in a nutshell, you got it in one.<p>Stick around and you might become a true PN Veteran.

Photo.net real value lies within the Forum section. The Gallery is simply window dressing. <br>BTW, I'm quite happy to participate in this Gallery activity, nonetheless...

Yup, I'd say you've about covered it, Russell. I'm not sure I like being told I'm blowing hot air, though. I shall have to thump my tub about that!

Welcome aboard, and thank you for being an actual subscriber (are you listening out there, you deadbeats?).

Russell, you are one perceptive guy. Took me much longer than a week to figure out most of what you are saying. I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head with your analysis. Despite it being a frustrating place at times, I have found that you usually have to put in more than you get out (they say marriage is like that too). But overall, it's a positive. I know I've "met" some great folks here, and even have personally been invited to come stay with a couple of Pnetters that turned out to be wonderful people that have enriched my life considerably.

Yup, Russell, you got it in one...

One good thing which comes with age is that one can express his opinion and not give a damn what other people think - because:

1) You feel that you earned this right

2) You know that you are right

:>D

This site's ability to inform and entertain in measures that vary, depending on which side of bed I get out of, are addictive beyond measure! Every morning I abuse my company's time sitting here sifting through the treasure. Long live PN and its contributors. Now, I'd better get some work done.......

Ah, well, I'll weigh in on behalf of all of us tub-thumpers. Not all of us have great talent, no matter how much we would like to. Most of us thumpers are trying our best and have no intention of annoying those of you who are quite good (which you are, Russell).

So, I'll nominate myself Head Tub-Thumper and extend a sincere welcome. If you drop by my portfolio (which I doubt you will), feel free to crucify my images. But..one favor? Please take the time to say what's wrong with them.

I look forward to more of your contributions.

Rachel, I think you are misunderstanding me.

By 'tub-thumpers' I mean the sorts of people who insist that there is one way of doing

things and one way only. You know, a bit like the fanatical bible-bashers in those old

black and white films! (Most of whom turned out out to be raging drunks).

You may well be a tub-thumper, I don't know you nearly well enough to say (I've only

been here for five minutes, after all). I suspect you might be confusing things here with

my comments on your 'art' thread. Don't worry about that - that was just me thumping my

tub - I do have a major bug up my backside about that!

Anyway, if I drop by your portfolio (which I am duty-bound to do now) I will not crucify

your images. If I feel moved to comment, I will try to do so in a constructive manner -

although that doesn't seem to go down very well with some people either!

I can be sarcastic as hell, but in general, my intentions are honest and good. Maybe

something gets lost in translation at times. The failure of the internet to capture

expression doesn't always help either, given that so many simple phrases can be

interpreted in so many, complicated ways.

Anyway, I hope that gets me back on your Christmas card list. I'm now off to sharpen by

axe and boil up some acid in readiness for your portfolio appraisal....

Russell, it does indeed. Except sending my cards out is still on my to-do list for 2007. Oops.

I suspected I might be misunderstanding you and that's why I addressed it directly. Thank you for being direct in response.

Now I see your humor is very dry and interestingly, mine has been likened to the Sahara. I'm going to go root around for Juliet's dagger so I can be properly prepared when I see the havoc you've wrought on my poor little snapshots.

Russell, you are indeed...on target. As for sarcasm - I'm a big fan. But for too many on-site, the word sarcasm equates to "attack". Repeated use of sarcasm will result in having your knuckles soundly rapped. You are now officially forewarned by the peanut gallery! :)

Rachel, so there's no misunderstandings...my comments were in no way the result of anything you had to say. i was only referring to a very general "sense of humor failure". it would take quite a while for me to list all the good people on-site you DO have a sense of humor...but as well, far too many who take it all far too seriously.

are we good now? i sure hope so! :)

You have been consistently making me pee my pants with your acerbic wit and unusually blunt sense of condor since you first arrived. Your comment about the height of horses is one of my all time favourites.

If you are in the wrong corner of the WWW then so must I be ... what a minute I am hmmm ? ....never mind.